The Premier League season got started yesterday with Arsenal’s 2–0 win over Crystal Palace. But today marks the first full Saturday of top-flight action in England and we’ll let you know how to watch the best matches. Elsewhere on the sports calendar is an intriguing soccer match from Germany and a bunch of high-level games in MLB.
Here’s what I’m watching today.
A quick note: Due to COVID-19, sports schedules are fluid and subject to change.
Chelsea at Everton
Chelsea comes into this Premier League campaign with a new look up top. New owner Todd Boehly and manager Thomas Tuchel have been seemingly close on big-name transfers, only to see Barcelona sweep in for the same targets. Even so, Chelsea will look to better their third place finish last season with the addition of forward Raheem Sterling from Manchester City. Everton, on the other hand, narrowly avoided relegation last season. Now with a full preseason under manager Frank Lampard, will they be able to work their way up the table?
12:30 p.m. ET, NBC, watch on fuboTV
- The Yanks Go Marching Into the Premier League (Brian Straus)
- Bad Beats, New Signings and an Uneven Summer Mark Chelsea’s Transition Period (Jonathan Wilson)
• Liverpool at Fulham | Fulham is back in the Premier League and they’ll be welcomed by a talented Liverpool squad aiming for the league title. 7:30 a.m. ET, Peacock
• Southampton at Tottenham | Tottenham finished last season strong and will be looking to continue that under manager Antonio Conte. 10 a.m. ET, Peacock
• Bayer Leverkusen at Borussia Dortmund | It’s also the opening weekend for the Bundesliga in Germany and this should be an exciting match between the teams that finished second and third last season. 12:30 p.m. ET, ABC, watch on fuboTV
• Atlanta Braves at New York Mets | It’s a doubleheader Saturday in Flushing between the two teams atop the NL East. Game 1: 1:10 p.m. ET, Bally Sports Southeast/SNY, Game 2: 7:10 p.m. ET, Bally Sports Southeast/WPIX, watch on fuboTV
• Houston Astros at Cleveland Guardians | The Astros are right on the Yankees’ heels for the top record in the American League while the Guardians are chasing the Twins for the top spot in the AL Central. 6:10 p.m. ET, ATT SportsNet-Southwest/Bally Sports Great Lakes, watch on fuboTV
Toronto Blue Jays at Minnesota Twins
The Blue Jays don’t look likely to catch the Yankees but they have a strong hold on the top AL wild-card spot. And they’ll face a Twins club that is hoping to hold off both the Guardians and White Sox to maintain their position as the top club in the AL Central.
7:10 p.m. ET, Bally Sports North/SNET, watch on fuboTV
Think we missed something worth watching? Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we should be looking out for and why.
Sports Illustrated may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this article.
Regional restrictions may apply.