Welcome to a College Football Saturday! It may be a light slate with only five games, but it’s a beautiful thing to have games on the gridiron that matter. The Illinois-Nebraska and UCLA-Hawaii matchups are the only truly juicy ones, but if you really want to sit on the couch all day and watch UTEP–New Mexico State, who am I to stop you?
We also have some great action between some of the biggest clubs in the Premier League, the semifinals of the Little League World Series and even NFL preseason action.
Here’s my guide for what to watch today.
Chelsea at Liverpool
As far as August Premier League matches go, this one is about as big as it gets. Both squads have started the season incredibly well, with two clean sheets and two victories each. For Chelsea, that included a 2–0 victory over Arsenal last week, during which CFC completely dominated the run of play for the entire match. And while Liverpool’s lack of spending in the transfer window has been criticized, the club has gotten off to a strong start as well and looked the part of a title contender. This game should tell us a lot about both clubs in the last match for each before the international break.
12:30 p.m. ET, NBC, watch on fuboTV
- Chelsea Pounces on Inter's Dire Situation to Reacquire Lukaku, Its Missing Piece (Jonathan Wilson)
- Who Will Win the Premier League Title? Follow the Uncapped Money. (Jonathan Wilson)
- Liverpool Refuses to Release Salah for World Cup Qualifiers
- Nebraska at Illinois | This game will almost certainly not be pretty, but it’s Big Ten football in August. The Huskers desperately need to start its season off on the right foot, while the Illini look to win in Bret Bielema’s debut. 1 p.m. ET, Fox, watch on fuboTV
- Little League World Series | We’re down to the final four teams left standing in Williamsport, and it’s win-or-go-home time. Ohio takes on South Dakota at 12:30 p.m. ET before Michigan and Hawaii face off at 3:30. ABC, watch on fuboTV
- New York Yankees at Oakland Athletics | One of baseball’s best stories of the year has been the emergence of Nestor Cortes in the Yankees’ rotation. He takes the ball against a slumping A’s team in the thick of the Wild Card race. 4:07 p.m. ET, PIX/NBC Sports California, watch on fuboTV
- Arsenal at Manchester City | Arsenal’s disastrous start to the season has quickly worn down fans’ patience with Mikel Arteta. It’s hard to believe things will get any better this week against a team of Man City’s quality. 7:30 a.m. ET, Peacock
- Green Bay Packers at Buffalo Bills | Jordan Love is expected to see significant time after missing last week’s game with a minor injury. A chance to see the Packers’ potential QB of the future is worth tuning into. 1 p.m. ET, NFL Network, watch on fuboTV
Hawaii at UCLA
This is the college football game of Week 0 I’m making it a point to watch, and it’s not just because it’s at the Rose Bowl. The Bruins enter the year with high expectations under Chip Kelly, thanks to a veteran QB in Dorian Thompson-Robinson and the return of 10 starters on defense. This matchup against feisty Rainbow Warriors will be a good litmus test ahead of a primetime showdown with LSU next week in Pasadena.
Hawaii hopes to contend in the Mountain West in Year 2 under Todd Graham. Dual-threat QB Chevan Cordeiro has played in big games in his career, and he’ll need a strong game this afternoon to give the ‘Bows a shot.
3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN, watch on fuboTV
Think we missed something worth watching? Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we should be looking out for and why.
Sports Illustrated may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this article.
Regional restrictions may apply.