GENEVIEVE RIDES AGAIN

Inspired by a funny movie, the British Vintage Sports Car Club and the Veteran Motor Car Club of America put on the first Anglo-American antique-car rally
November 29, 1954

The vintage car fancier is likely to be a nostalgic gentleman who remembers the days when going anywhere by car was a sporting proposition. He has a tendency to debate Mercer vs. Stutz and to tell wondrous tales about the Stanley Steamer, which did 121.52 mph in 1906 and in legend did 190. He has an eye for beauty that prefers bright brass to chrome and does not light up at the sight of streamlining. He will go anywhere to show off his pet vehicle.

Ten of him, for instance, went to England this summer to compete in the first Anglo-American Vintage Car Rally. It was an event which lived up to the light humor of the British movie Genevieve that inspired it. The rally involved an 850-mile run over the back roads from Edinburgh to Chichester, and was very much like those rallies which, at the turn of the century, were organized to prove that the automobile was here to stay.

There was British weather to contend with and there were mishaps, though no injuries to occupants. A Stanley Steamer, driven by Paul J. Tusek of Power Point, Ohio, exploded four times and finally withdrew, unable to digest British fuels. Elmer W. Bemis, of Brattleboro, Vt., driving a 1906 Ford, rammed the rear of a 1954 Humber Super Snipe but escaped with trifling damage (see next page).

The Americans lost the rally, 7,001 points to 8,376 for the British, but won the hearts of car-loving Britons, who marveled all along the route at the big, sleek and brightly-colored automobiles from over the sea. Even the engines of many British and U.S. entries were painted in brilliant colors.

Stutz Bearcat, vintage 1914, was substituted for Stanley Steamer which exploded out of the rally. Owner Tony Koveleski, of Scranton, Pa., drove it wearing a Navy foul-weather suit and a flight helmet.

VISITING BRITISH CARS RUN A DEMONSTRATION LAP AT THE DUKE OF RICHMOND AND GORDON'S GOODWOOD CIRCUIT, FAMED 2½-MILE ROAD-RACING COURSE

Vintage car gossip engaged David Scott Moncrieff of the Mercedes-Benz Club of England (in cap, left), Roderic M. Blood of West Newton, Mass., at wheel of 1913 Lozier Toy Tonneau, and Vincent Rawlings, co-driver of a British entry.

Monocle Windshield of 1914 Mercer Raceabout provides dubious shelter for Ralph Buckley of Absecon, N.J. and passenger Nigel Arnold-Foster.

Blue caps are sported by Sam Baily of Bala-Cynwyd, Pa. and old car collector Henry Austin Clark Jr.

Dented Fender and lost headlamp were suffered in minor crash by Elmer Bemis' 1906 Model K Ford.

High polish is put on a 1907 Lanchester in the Goodwood Circuit paddock before a welcoming parade staged by visiting British vintage ear owners. These autos, not entered in the rally, came from all over Britain.

Gleaming engine of this 1905 Renault, displayed at Goodwood paddock, won admiration of enthusiastic crowds.

Colorful insignia of 16 auto and flying clubs decorate this 1929 Bentley which participated in parade.

NINE PHOTOSBOB ISEAR

HOLE YARDS PAR R1 R2 R3 R4
OUT
HOLE YARDS PAR R1 R2 R3 R4
IN
Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)