Last week Assistant Publisher Dick Neale handed me the following note: "As you know, I've been living with the Hungarian and Rumanian Olympic athletes since they have been in America, and I thought that some of our readers would get the same kind of personal reward from knowing them that I have. How about running a special MEMO FROM THE PUBLISHER called 'Scouting Report on Future Americans'?
"This would give our readers an opportunity to send along to you any job and college offers which they may know of. This week the group is starting its six-week nationwide freedom tour. Many SPORTS ILLUSTRATED readers can therefore look forward to meeting these fine athletes in person very shortly."
A good idea. The "scouting report" follows.
22. Gymnast. U.S. goal: to start gym school for children with Margit Korondi.
24. Water poloist. U.S. goal: college, then a job on stock exchange.
22. Water poloist. Studied law. U.S. goal: architecture, ceramics or law.
36. Swimming coach. Can speak German, French, Italian. U.S. goal: to coach.
41. Swimming coach. U.S. goal: to coach, apply his new backstroke style.
23. Fencer. Chemical engineer. U.S. goal: enter plastics field and continue fencing.
18. Water poloist. Fine ice hockey player. U.S. goal: study of medicine.
19. Swimmer. U.S. goal: first college, then into construction business.
20. Fencer. Hungary's best foilswoman. Speaks English. U.S. goal: textile design.
18. Diver. U.S. goal: work as small machines mechanic, go to 1960 Olympics.
32. Sprinter, jumper. Office clerk. U.S. goal: to learn this country and English.
21. Canoeist. Electrical technician. U.S. goal: college to study electronics.
23. Water poloist. High school graduate. U.S. goal: college, television career and funds to bring parents here.
48. Track coach. His runners have set almost 20 world records. U.S. goal: coaching in Florida or California.
57. Fencing coach. Twice world sabre champion. U.S. goal: to start fencing school, bring family, now in Vienna, here.
33. Hungarian water polo team captain. Amateur photographer. U.S. goal: to stimulate water polo here as college coach.
21. Water poloist. Was studying law at University of Budapest. U.S. goal: continue law studies, play more water polo.
28. Fencer. Has Hungarian certificate in mechanical engineering. Wife in Vienna. U.S. goal: mechanical engineering.
24. Gymnast. Began training at age of three. U.S. goal: to form gym school in this country with Teammate Andrea Bodo.
24. Fencer. University chemistry student. U.S. goal: continue college studies and become chemical engineer.
20. Swimmer: backstroke champion. Did sports administration work in Hungary. U.S. goal: college education.
25. Water poloist. Art history student who speaks some English. U.S. goal: go to college, marry fiancée now in Vienna.
34. Chief of Staff, Hungarian Sports Ministry. Speaks English, Dutch, French. U.S. goal: to teach physical education.
24. Water poloist. Plays ice hockey. U.S. goal: to attend American college, take a course in engineering.
19. Gymnast. Youngest member of Hungarian gym team. Skier, skater, pianist. U.S. goal: to complete schooling here.
35. Diving coach. Speaks German and Russian. U.S. goal: to combine work as coach with sports photography.
39. Fencer and lawyer. Speaks fluent English, five other languages. U.S. goal: job in insurance or as fencing coach.
29. Fencer and army sports officer. Speaks fluent French. U.S. goal: college work toward degree in engineering.
23. Diver. Since 1953 Hungary's high diving champion. Also boxer and acrobat. U.S. goal: to teach gymnastics.
20. Swimmer. Accounting clerk for mattress manufacturer. U.S. goal: to continue her schooling and her swimming.
21. Swimmer, freestyle and backstroke. U.S. goal: job in technical end of television after she learns English.
25. Runner. Sub-four-minute miler who runs K of C two-mile in Boston Jan. 19th. U.S. goal: to run, enter shoe business.
27. Gymnast. University electrical engineering student. U.S. goal: to study engineering in Los Angeles area.
DR. ZOLTAN TOROK
57. Rowing coach. Supreme court judge and lawyer who lost judgeship for anti-Soviet decisions. U.S. goal: coach at college.
21. Water Poloist. Bloodied in match with Russia. Outstanding college student. U.S. goal: to bring family over here.
38. Rowing coxswain. U.S. goal: to get job as soon as possible, learn freedom in America, go home when Hungary is free.