Search

C. RONALD ELLIS AND FRIENDS

Dec. 02, 1957
Dec. 02, 1957

Table of Contents
Dec. 2, 1957

From The Flyways
Fisherman's Calendar
Acknowledgments
Scouting Report
  • NAVY 24

    The 1957 Middies are as dangerous as any in Coach Eddie Erdelatz' eight years at Annapolis. An upset by North Carolina and tie by Duke showed that their explosive running-passing can be stopped, but Navy has relaxed since and a bowl hangs on victory

  • ARMY 26

    This year Coach Earl Blaik has assembled his favorite kind of Army team—a big, strong bulldozer that has averaged 405 yards per game. It will go over, through or around you, and only Notre Dame has stopped it. It lacks guile but needs none

Lambs into Lions
Pheasant Flurry
19th Hole: The Readers Take Over
Pat On The Back
Departments

C. RONALD ELLIS AND FRIENDS

The 1960 Olympic Games are still two and a half years away, but the service clubs of Palm Springs, Calif. have the date clearly in mind—and they have devised an ingenious and admirable plan which, as it spreads, could make U.S. service clubs the principal financial sponsors of the U.S. squads at Rome and Squaw Valley. The scheme, known as the Palm Springs Plan, is simple enough: each service club member contributes 25¢ a year to a Palm Springs Olympic Fund chest. Since well over a million Americans are members of service clubs, and since the tab for travel and maintenance of U.S. Olympic athletes will be in the neighborhood of $1 million or so, the possibilities are obvious. Inventor's credit for the Palm Springs Plan goes to C. Ronald Ellis, president of the Palm Springs Rotary Club (at right in the picture above). But joining with him enthusiastically were his fellow service club presidents in the desert community (shown above with their guest of honor, the Rev. Bob Richards, at left). Pouring their first $118 worth of quarters into the Olympic "pot" are Presidents Roy Randolph, Optimist Club; Else Addes, Soroptimists; Elmer Walberg, Lions; James Perini, Kiwanis; and Roger Richards, the Exchange Clubs.

This is an article from the Dec. 2, 1957 issue Original Layout

PHOTO