BASKETBALL—SAN FRANCISCO moved two games ahead in the West as it won three of five while second-place ST. LOUIS split four. Will Chamberlain (see page 24) scored 52 points back to back and climaxed a big week (averaged 43 points a game) by stuffing in a short shot by Guy Rodgers with seven seconds left to beat the Lakers 109-108. Luckless LOS ANGELES dropped four out of five (three of the losses were by one point, the other by two) to fall six games out of first and within four of fourth-place BALTIMORE, which snapped out of a three-game losing streak with two wins in a row. DETROIT, on the other hand, broke its seven-game winless streak with a victory over L.A. and immediately lost three more in a row. In the Eastern Division, second-place Cincinnati won three out of four to climb within a game of BOSTON, which split four, and suddenly, with only three and a half weeks left in the season, there was a race for first place. A month ago the Celtics held a seemingly safe five-game lead, but the Royals gradually cut that down by roaring to 14 victories in 15 games (including 12 straight) while Boston was winning 12 of 19. PHILADELPHIA lost its third game in a row (to the Celtics 103-93) and then won three straight (including a 144-119 romp over the Celtics in which Hal Greer scored 50 points). NEW YORK followed up its nine-game losing streak with a season high of three victories in a row as rookie Art Heyman averaged 25 points a game. The fun ended when the Knicks lost their next game to the 76ers 114-105.

BOBSLEDDING—At Lake Placid, N.Y. Olympic silver medalist SERGIO ZARDINI of Italy won the international Diamond Trophy, the North American four-man title, and placed second in the two-man event, which was won by Larry McKillip of Saranac Lake.

BOXING—Sixth-ranked heavyweight EDDIE MACHEN of Berkeley, Calif. quickly left-hooked 6-foot 6-inch Duke Sabedong down to manageable size and knocked him out with a right uppercut in the first round, for his fifth KO in as many fights since he started his comeback five months ago.

Johnny Persol of Brooklyn. 23, climbed back into the ring after a jolting right sent him sprawling in the sixth round and turned a ferocious attack on top-ranked light heavyweight Eddie Cotton to earn a split decision in 10 rounds at Madison Square Garden.

GOLF—Finally admitting his age (51), SAM SNEAD entered his first PGA Seniors' Teacher Trophy tournament, in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. (see page 52) and shot a nine-under-par 279 to win the $2,500 first prize.

HOCKEY—MONTREAL briefly took over first place by winning two in a row (including a 3-1 victory over the Black Hawks) while CHICAGO was splitting two games. But the two teams ended up tied for the lead for the fifth straight week when the Canadiens lost one and the Black Hawks shut out the Bruins 2-0. Third-place TORONTO held its four-point lead over the Red Wings by tying them 1-1 and winning two in a row from the Rangers, as DETROIT, the best team in the league the past three weeks (seven wins, one tie in 10 games), followed suit with two straight 3-2 victories over the Bruins and the Canadiens. Fifth place NEW YORK sank 12 points behind the Red Wings, by losing three more in a row (eight of their last nine), and BOSTON dropped clear out of sight by losing its third, fourth and fifth consecutive games.

HORSE RACING—ROMAN BROTHER ($3), under Manuel Ycaza, overtook Mr. Brick in the closing strides to win by a head the $30,550 Everglades Stakes for 3-year-olds at Hialeah.

The 1963 turf champion, MONGO ($7.60), found the mud at Hialeah no handicap and took an early lead under Wayne Chambers to defeat Sunrise Flight by a head in the $130,800 Widener Handicap.

Another good turf runner successfully switched surfaces when MR. CONSISTENCY ($13.60), urged by Kenny Church, took the $147,100 Santa Anita Handicap by¾ of a length.

MOTOR SPORTS—Plymouths swept the first three places in the Daytona 500 (see pane 26) as RICHARD PETTY of Randleman, N.C. set a track record by averaging 154.334 mph and lapped the field twice in spite of six pit stops and three caution lights.

SKIING—ADRIEN DUVILLARD of France won his fifth straight event on the professional ski circuit by taking the slalom at Boston Hill, North Andover, Mass.

SPEED SKATING—Olympic gold medal winner KNUT JOHANNESEN of Norway retired from speed skating after winning the over-all title, the 5,000 meters (7:41.3) and the 10,000 meters (16:06.9) at the World Championships in Helsinki. Norway's Nils Aaness took the 1,500 meters in 2:12.0 and the 500 went to Keiichi Suzuki of Japan in 41.1.

SQUASH RACKETS—ANNE WETZEL, Philadelphia's five-time runner-up in the national championship, finally won the U.S. women's title by defeating second-seeded Mrs. Nathan Stauffer in Cedarhurst, N.Y. In the men's national in Annapolis, 1963 intercollegiate champion RALPH HOWE of Locust Valley, N.Y. upset fourtime winner Henri Salaun in four sets.

TENNIS—CHUCK McKINLEY regained his National Indoor title from his Davis Cup teammate, Dennis Ralston, 15-13, 6-2, 6-8, 3-6, 6-3, in Salisbury, Md. (see page 57).

TRACK & FIELD—Australia's smooth-running RON CLARKE showed his world-record form in the AAU indoor championships at New York when he ran three miles in 13:18.4, breaking the old indoor record held by fellow Australians Al Lawrence and Albie Thomas by eight full seconds. Clarke followed a fast pace set by 17-year-old Gerry Lindgren, then ran away from the field in the last mile to win by more than 100 yards from bald Pete McArdle, whose second-place time of 13:32.6 set a new U.S. citizen's record. Lindgren was third in 13:37.8, only .8 second off the old citizen's record. BOB HAYES, upset earlier in the week in the 60-yard dash at the Long Beach indoor games when Darel Newman beat the gun in a controversial start, came back strong in the AAU meet and became the first man ever to break six seconds in the 60, muscling his way to an indoor world record of 5.9. JOHN THOMAS (7 feet 1 inch) won the high jump from Australian Tony Sneazwell (7 feet), GARY GUBNER (63 feet 2½ inches) the shotput from Parry O'Brien (62 feet 10 inches), and CHARLIE MAYS (26 feet 1½ inches) the broad jump from Ralph Boston (25 feet 8¼ inches). HAYES JONES took the 60-yard high hurdles (7.0), CHARLIE BUCHTA the 600 (1:12.1), ERNIE CUNLIFFE the 1,000 (2:14.8), ERGAS LEPS the mile (4:09.6), RON LAIRD the mile walk (6:22.7) and JOHN UELSES the pole vault (15 feet 6 inches).

MILEPOSTS—ACCEPTED: A four-year lease to Kansas City's Municipal Stadium by Athletics' Owner Charles Finley, thus ending the question of where the team would play in the American League this season.

ELECTED: LUCIUS BENJAMIN (Luke) APPLING, 55, as the 101st member of Baseball's Hall of Fame. Known as "Old Aches and Pains" because of his frequent complaints, Appling nonetheless put in 20 seasons as shortstop for the Chicago White Sox (1930-50), batted over .300 in 16 of them, led the AL twice (1936, 1943) and compiled a lifetime average of .310. Now coach and batting instructor for the Kansas City Athletics, Appling found his new honor an invigorating balm. "I feel fine, the old aches and pains arc gone," he said.

RETIRED: NEVER BEND, by the Cain Hoy Stable, because of an ankle injury, to become a syndicated breeding stallion. The dusky Nasrullah colt earned $641,524 in 23 starts as a 2-and 3-year-old, winning last year's Flamingo and placing second to Chateaugay in the Kentucky Derby.

TRADED: New York's high-scoring Right Wing ANDY BATHGATE (272 goals and 457 assists in almost 12 seasons with the Rangers) and Center Don McKenney, to Toronto for two hard-checking forwards, Dick Duff and Bob Nevin, plus minor leaguers Arnie Brown, Rod Seiling and Bill Collins ("Three of the greatest prospects in Canada," said Muzz Patrick, the Ranger GM).

DIED: CAPTAIN TOM HORGAN JR., USN (ret.), 65, a barnacled New England sailor, yachtsman, author of sea stories and America's Cup correspondent, of cancer, in Boston.

DIED: WILLIAM J. (Bill) STEWART, 69, who ruled with admirable authority for 22 years as a National League umpire (four All-Star Games and five World Series) and 10 years as a National Hockey League referee, of a stroke, in Boston. He also found time to coach the Chicago Black Hawks for a season and a half and brought them from last place in 1937 to the 1938 Stanley Cup championship. Stewart is best remembered, however, for his controversial decision in the first game of the 1948 World Series when he called Boston's Phil Masi safe at second after an attempted pick-off by Bob Feller. Masi subsequently scored the only run of the game, and the Braves defeated Cleveland 1-0. That rhubarb typified Stewart's philosophy of quick decisions and no retreat: "I called Masi safe. He was. He is."