BASKETBALL—"They all had their shots at me and the Celtics, but we beat them all," crowed Red Auerbach. BOSTON won the NBA championship by defeating Los Angeles in the final game 95-93, and the volatile Auerbach retired after 20 years as coach (page 30). Earlier in the week the Lakers had tied the playoff-series 3-3 with a 123-115 victory, forcing the showdown game in Boston.

Yugoslavia won the world amateur championship when it defeated Spain 68-65 in its final game as the U.S. was beating Russia 75-73 in Santiago, Chile. The U.S. and Yugoslavia finished the round-robin tournament with 5-1 records, but Yugoslavia took the title on the basis of an earlier 69-59 victory over the U.S. The Russians, who would have won the championship if they had beaten the U.S., were a close third.

BOXING—EMILE GRIFFITH, the 28-year-old welterweight champion from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, won the world middleweight title as he scored a unanimous decision over Dick Tiger, the 36-year-old champion from Nigeria, in an uneventful 15-round bout in Madison Square Garden (page 70). Griffith then went to court to try to keep his welterweight championship which, according to the New York State Athletic Commission, he must now vacate under the "one man, one title" rule.

Sandro Lopopolo, a 26-year-old Italian who was previously ranked ninth in the junior welterweight standings, outpointed champion Carlos Hernandez also 26, of Venezuela, to take the world title in a 15-round match in Rome.

Philadelphian JOE FRAZIER, the 1964 Olympic heavyweight champion, won his eighth straight professional fight with a knockout, stopping Don (Toro) Smith of Pittsburgh in 1:09 of the third round of a scheduled 10-rounder in Pittsburgh.

GOLF—WARD WETTLAUFER, a 30-year-old Atlanta salesman and former Walker Cup team member (1959) who "plays the course, not the man," won his first North-South Amateur title when he defeated Marion Heck, 26, of Fort Myers, Fla. 4 and 2 in the 36-hole final at Pinehurst, N.C.

Roberto De Vicenzo, a balding, 43-year-old Argentinian often called the international Snead, took the $15,000 first prize in the Dallas Open with an eight-under-par 276 over Harold Henning of South Africa, Joe Campbell of Tansi, Tenn. and Ray Floyd of St. Andrews, Ill., who finished in a three-way tie for second with 277s. The victory was De Vicenzo's 120th since he began his golfing career in 1945.

Later in the week, 31-year-old HAROLD HENNING won the Texas Open in rainy San Antonio by three strokes with a 272 over Gene Littler, Wes Ellis Jr. and Ken Still, who tied for second.

HARNESS RACING—For the third straight week CARDIGAN BAY, the 10-year-old New Zealand-bred pacer driven by Stanley Dancer, scored a victory at Yonkers with little effort, winning the $50,000 National Championship Pace by three lengths over Adios Marches. With the no-betting-on-Cardigan Bay rule still in effect (SI, May 2), Adios Marches was moved to the winner's spot in the wagering and paid $18.80. Adora's Dream and Adios Vic finished in a dead heat for third.

HOCKEY—Defending Champion MONTREAL skated into contention for the Stanley Cup, tying the series 2-2 with back-to-back wins—4-2 and 2-1—after DETROIT had taken a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven NHL playoffs. Earlier in the week the Red Wings, who had won the opening game 3-2, defeated the Canadiens 5-2 on a four-goal outburst in the third period.

HORSE RACING—The Kentucky Derby picture became confused when favored Graustark came up with a broken bone in his left front foot, thus putting him out of the race—and ending his racing career (page 22). Earlier in the week he had finished a close second in the 1‚⅛-mile Blue Grass at Lexington, beaten by ABE'S HOPE ($7.60), an Illinois-bred colt ridden by Willie Shoemaker. Two days later Shoemaker rode OLD BAG ($11.40), a 3-year-old not even nominated for the Derby, to a half-length victory over Mary D. Kiem's Sean E Indian in the Stepping Stone, a Derby prep, at Churchill Downs.

Jay Trump, winner of last year's Grand National Steeplechase in England, retired the Challenge Cup trophy as he won his third Maryland Hunt Cup in Glyndon, Md., finishing the four-mile, 22-fence race eight lengths ahead of Mountain Dew, who led until the 18th fence. "He's won all there is to win in jumping races," said Jay Trump's owner Mrs. Mary Stephenson, as she announced his expected retirement.

MOTOR SPORTS—Britain's JOHN SURTEES, competing in his first race since a near-fatal accident in the Canadian Grand Prix last September, and MIKE PARKES drove their Italian Ferrari prototype racer to victory in the 620-mile Monza (Italy) race in 6:05:11.6 for an average of 102.882 mph. A few days later, Surtees, the 1964 world driving champion, won the Syracuse (Sicily) Grand Prix in a record 1:40:8.3.

"I didn't have a bit of trouble all day," said 28-year-old RICHARD PETTY of Randleman, N.C. after he won the Rebel 400 stock-car race in his hemipowered Plymouth in the fastest average speed—131.585—ever recorded at the Darlington (S.C.) track. Petty, the winner of the Daytona 500 last February, finished three laps ahead of Runner-up Paul Goldsmith of Munster, Ind.

TRACK & FIELD—VILLANOVA anchorman DAVE PATRICK, a sophomore from Baltimore, ran the fastest mile (4:04.6) in the 72-year history of the Penn Relays in Philadelphia to beat Georgetown's Paul Perry and give the Wildcats a 9:46.4 victory in the distance medley relay (page 74). The following day on the rain-soaked Franklin Field track, Patrick did it again—this time sprinting past Georgetown anchorman Ricardo Urbina in the final yards to win the two-mile relay by two yards in 7:39.3. FLORIDA A&M was the only other double winner, beating Morgan State in the 440 in 41.5 seconds and taking the 880 when Morgan State, which actually won, was disqualified for passing the baton too soon. At the Drake Relays in Des Moines, MICHIGAN STATE set a new national collegiate record in the 480-yard shuttle-hurdle relay, winning in 57.4 to clip 1/10 second off the old record held by Winston-Salem (1959) and Rice (1965). SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY set two meet records, taking the two-mile and the 880-yard relays as well as the sprint medley and one-mile relays. RANDY MATSON of Texas A&M, who also won the discus, put the shot 65 feet 3¾ inches to break the meet record, but Kansas' JIM RYUN, who hoped to set a new outdoor mark in the mile, won in a disappointing 4:05.6. In Walnut, Calif. at the Mt. Antonio meet veteran Miler JIM GRELLE switched to 5,000 meters and barely won over George Young.

MILEPOSTS—MARRIED: France's Olympic ski champion CHRISTINE GOITSCHEL, 21, to her coach, Jean Béranger, 28, in Val d'Is√®re, France.

FIRED: DOLPH SCHAYES, 37, the NBA's Coach of the Year, as coach of the Philadelphia 76ers, after the 76ers won the Eastern Division but lost to Boston in playoffs. Hired in his place: ALEX HANNUM, 42, who was recently fired as coach of the San Francisco Warriors.

HIRED: MIKE FARMER, 29, assistant coach and chief scout for the NBA's St. Louis Hawks, as head coach of the Baltimore Bullets to replace Paul Seymour, who resigned in April. Farmer, a former teammate of Bill Russell's at San Francisco, played forward with the Hawks for four seasons before retiring in 1965 after he fractured an ankle.

HIRED: JACKIE ROBINSON, 47, former Brooklyn Dodger baseball star, as general manager of the new Brooklyn Dodger professional football team of the Continental League.

DIED: Wealthy Reno Rancher WILLIAM STEAD, 42, an air racer and former hydroplane champion, in the crash of his midget racing plane on a practice run for an air exhibition, at St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport. Stead, who won the national unlimited hydroplane title in 1958 and 1959 and the Gold Cup in 1959, retired from boat racing in 1960 to devote his time to reviving the national air races, which had been defunct since 1950.

DIED: HY HURWITZ, 56, Boston Globe sports-writer, for eight years secretary of the Baseball Writers Association, of a heart attack in Boston.

DIED: EVERETT N. CASE, 65, the "Old Gray Fox" who came from Indiana to North Carolina State in 1946 and built Wolfpack basketball into a national power, of internal hemorrhaging, in Raleigh, N.C. Case, whose teams compiled a 378-133 record, won 10 championships in the Southern and Atlantic Coast conferences and seven Dixie Classic tournaments in 18 years, retired in December 1964, because he was suffering from myeloma, a bone disease.

DIED: Judge HUGO M. FRIEND, 83, who presided over Black Sox scandal hearings in 1919, in Chicago, while listening to the White Sox beat the Cleveland Indians.