BADMINTON—The U.S., the only country ever to hold the Uber Cup, symbol of the world championship in women's badminton, was upset by JAPAN. Competing for the first time, Japan's women dominated the finals in Wellington, New Zealand with three singles victories—Noriko Tagaki beat Baltimore's Judy Hashman, now living in England, who is ranked the world's best player; Mitsuko Yokoyama won over Tyna Barinaga of Beaverton, Ore.; and Fumiko Yokoi defeated Caroline Jensen of Port Angeles, Wash.—then clinched the cup with a doubles win. The U.S. got its only points in one doubles when Mrs. Hashman and Mrs. Rosine Jones beat Miss Tagaki and Miss Yokoi.

BOWLING—After trying and failing five times, BOB STRAMPE, 35, of Detroit, won his first American Bowling Congress Masters championship when he defeated Al Thompson of Cleveland 873-799 in four games in Rochester, N.Y. Strampe registered seven straight victories in the double elimination finals.

Jack Biondolillo of Houston and Fred Foremsky of El Paso defeated favorites Dick Weber and Ray Bluth of St. Louis, who have won four Bowling Proprietors Association of America national doubles titles in 10 years, by 480 pins, to take the championship in Chicago.

BOXING—Two world champions kept their titles as CASSIUS CLAY bloodied British Greengrocer Henry Cooper for a TKO in 1:38 of the sixth round of London's heavyweight championship bout (page 20), and Light Heavyweight Champion JOSE TORRES floored Challenger Wayne Thornton twice to score a unanimous decision in 15 rounds at New York's Shea Stadium (page 24).

Philadelphia's JOE FRAZIER, the 1964 Olympic heavyweight champion, scored his ninth straight professional knockout as he kayoed Chuck Leslie of Los Angeles in the third round of a scheduled 10-rounder in Los Angeles Olympic Auditorium.

FOOTBALL—"This is a personal decision I have made," said PETE GOGOLAK, 24-year-old place-kicker for the Buffalo Bills and the AFL's second highest scorer in 1964 and 1965, after he signed a long-term (said to be three years) contract with the NFL's New York Giants. Personal or not, the signing aggravated the rumble between the two pro leagues. Buffalo Owner and AFL President Ralph Wilson called it "a direct provocation against the Bills and the AFL" and, along with other owners, threatened retaliation.

GOLF—After leading all the way out, Australia's BRUCE DEVLIN faded slightly on the back nine and put two shots into creek beds, but still managed to beat R. H. Sikes, former public links and National Collegiate champion, by one stroke in the $100,000 Colonial National in Fort Worth (page 67).

HARNESS RACING—CARDIGAN BAY ($4), the 10-year-old champion of New Zealand and Australia driven by Stanley Dancer, beat 4-year-old Bret Hanover, harness racing's Horse of the Year in 1964 and 1965, by a length in the $65,000 Pace of the Century at Yonkers (page 70).

A night earlier Billy Myer celebrated his 50th birthday in the fog at Yonkers by driving favored ROMEO HANOVER ($3), last year's 2-year-old champion, to a 4½-length victory over Buzzy Hanover in the Cane Futurity, first leg of pacing's Triple Crown. The win was worth $69,803.25 (for a $228,768 career total) to Romeo's owners—three caterers, a beauty salon operator, an accountant and a partner called "the bon vivant" by the others—who bought him at the 1964 Harrisburg Sales for $8,500.

HOCKEY—ALEX DELVECCHIO, 34-year-old captain of the Detroit Red Wings, was awarded the National Hockey League's top sportsmanship trophy, the Lady Byng Memorial, which carries with it a cash prize of $1,000, for the second time in his 15-year NHL career. The veteran forward won his honor by scoring a total of 69 points during the regular season while incurring only eight minor penalties in 70 games. Montreal's JACQUES LAPERRIERE won the Norris Trophy as best defenseman.

Two other familiar NHL names reappeared in the big time after brief absences: GEORGE (Red) SULLIVAN, former fighting defenseman and captain of the New York Rangers who retired from the ice to become their coach for three ill-fated years (1962-1965), was named head coach of Pittsburgh's new major league team by newly appointed General Manager Jack Riley. RUDY PILOUS, 51, who was fired by the Black Hawks after six years and one Stanley Cup championship (in 1961) was hired as general manager of San Francisco's new major league entry, the Seals.

HORSE RACING—Michael Ford's Kentucky Derby winner KAUAI KING ($4), ridden by Don Brumfield, added the Preakness to his bid for the Triple Crown as he came from behind in the stretch to catch the pacesetter Stupendous and win by 1¾ lengths at Pimlico (page 26).

Braulio Baeza rode Claiborne Farm's 3-year-old filly MOCCASIN ($4.20), the 1965 Horse of the Year, to a 1½-length victory over Imam and four other colts in the Celtic, a six-furlong allowance race at Aqueduct.

A day later at Aqueduct, Baeza guided Mrs. H. C. Phipps's BOLD LAD ($3) to a three-length win over Davis II in the $28,350 Roseben Handicap.

MOTOR SPORTS—Scotland's JACKIE STEWART gunned his BRM to a record victory over Lorenzo Bandini of Italy in the international auto racing circuit's season opener, the Monaco Grand Prix. Stewart covered the 198 miles in 2:33:10.6, breaking Graham Hill's previous record by 4½ minutes.

Marvin Panch, 39, a 15-year veteran of the stock-car circuit who defected from Ford a week before, won the World 600-mile race in Charlotte, N.C., driving a 1965 Plymouth to a record 135.042 mph, more than a lap ahead of G. C. Spencer. Panch, who collected $25,400 of the purse for his victory, was relieved the last 100 miles by teammate Richard Petty, whose 1966 Plymouth lost oil pressure and forced him out of the race on the 237th lap.

ROWING—WASHINGTON, undefeated in five races this season, successfully defended its Western Sprint championship by defeating Stanford, an insurgent newcomer, and nine other top West Coast crews in 6:51 on the 2,000-meter course over the choppy Mare Island Channel near Vallejo, Calif.

TENNIS—BRAZIL upset defending champion Spain 3-2 in the second round of European Zone Davis Cup play when Jose Edison Mandarino defeated Juan Gisbert in the last singles match 7-5, 3-6, 9-11, 8-6, 8-6. A day earlier Manuel Santana, Spain's leading player and current U.S. champion, was beaten by Brazil's Tomas Koch, quite possibly because he was playing with an injured arm. In American Zone competition the U.S. took the semifinals over the West Indies 4-1 with victories by Cliff Richey of Dallas and Arthur Ashe of Los Angeles.

TRACK & FIELD—At a meet in Mantes, France, MICHEL JAZY, holder of the world mile mark of 3:53.6, won the 1,500 meters in 3:41.8, just eight-tenths of a second ahead of Wittold Baran of Poland. In a Hamburg, West Germany meet, West Germany's HAROLD NORPOTH ran the mile in 3:58.8 to beat Kipchoge Keino, Kenya's 3,000- and 5,000-meter world record holder.

Michigan State, winner of the Big Ten indoor championships in March, took its second consecutive Big Ten outdoor title when John Spain won the 880, Bob Steele the 440-yard hurdles and Gene Washington the 120-yard high hurdles at Bloomington, Ind. Other Michigan State men placed in nine more of the 15 events for a 52½-point total, 9½ ahead of the University of Iowa, the runner-up.

MILEPOSTS—ADMITTED: to the Missouri Valley Conference, maverick MEMPHIS STATE UNIVERSITY, an independent power in football and basketball for the past 10 years.

RESIGNED: JIM NESWORTHY, 53, after 18 years as head rowing coach at Boston University.

DIED: RANDY TURPIN, 38, the English boxer who took away Sugar Ray Robinson's middleweight title in 1951 and held it for 63 days, from wounds incurred in a mysterious shooting in Leamington Spa, England. After losing his championship Turpin suffered defeat after defeat—in marriage, in an unsuccessful business career, bankruptcy, the loss of his boxing license because of poor condition, deafness and depression. While police investigated the shooting, doctors were still striving to save the life of Turpin's youngest child, Carmen, aged 17 months, who was shot twice.

DIED: CARLOS ARRUZA, 46, popular Mexican matador who began his bullfighting career in 1934 and was, after Manolete's death in 1947, regarded as N√∫mero Uno in Spain and Mexico; in an automobile accident near Mexico City. Arruza, who raised bulls on a farm near Mexico City, retired from the ring in 1953, but returned in 1956 as a rejoneador for five years.