INDY'S HALL OF DINOSAURS

May 16, 1976

The smells are not museum smells. Instead of mustiness and formaldehyde, the aroma of methanol fuel, leather and lacquer pervades the interior of the new Indianapolis Speedway Museum. And the exhibits are not display cases filled with shards and scraps for your imagination to assemble into a re-creation of reality, but are the actual cars that raced on the 2.5-mile oval surrounding their present home. Here, Lane Stewart's camera focuses on seven of those meticulously restored Indy relics.

The Marmon "Wasp" (top) won the first 500 in 1911 and never raced again. In contrast, the Maserati that won in 1939-40 was last driven at Indianapolis in 1951.

In 1921 Jimmy Murphy's Duesenberg (No. 12) was first at the French Grand Prix. The next year it won at Indy. A 1912 Fiat (top, center) furnished leather-tufted comfort.

Beautifully detailed, the Duesenberg was rescued from MGM's prop department when Murphy's riding mechanic, Ernie Olsen, discovered it while on a studio tour.

In the late 1930s this Alfa Romeo (top) was a nonwinning foreign entry. In 1964 A.J. Foyt's roadster held off a new wave of European rear-engine cars one last time.

TWELVE PHOTOS

HOLE YARDS PAR R1 R2 R3 R4
OUT
HOLE YARDS PAR R1 R2 R3 R4
IN
Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)