For five points, arrange these memorable John Daly moments in
chronological order, starting with the earliest.
a. Scores a 14 on the final hole of the first round (he hit one
tee shot out-of-bounds and two into the ocean), shoots an 83 and
b. First off in the third round with marker Jim Holtgrieve,
shoots a 74 in two hours and 48 minutes.
June 9, 2003
c. In the second round, reaches the supposedly unreachable
630-yard 17th in two with a Killer Whale driver and a one-iron.
d. En route to an 11 on the 8th hole, hits a moving ball on the
green (and is given a two-shot penalty) during the final round.
e. Walks off the course at the turn during the second round
without telling anyone, including his caddie.
For one point each, match the quote with the player who said it
during the 1992 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.
1. "I might have gone for the green at 18 in two, but if I had
pulled a wood out, Nicklaus, Melnyk and Musburger might have
fallen out of the tower."
2. "I kind of fell out of the sky. I felt like my parachute had a
hole in it."
3. "If they want greens like this, I'm going to take up topless
4. "I couldn't believe [the par-3 7th]. I thought it was a mere
5. "Jack Nicklaus shook my hand and said, 'Congratulations on
winning your first U.S. Open.' Then Tom Kite holed his chip at
the 7th, and Nicklaus turned the other way."
a. Colin Montgomerie
b. Nick Faldo
c. Gil Morgan
d. Tom Kite
e. Ian Woosnam
For one point each, which number is larger?
1. Hale Irwin's age in 1990, when he became the oldest champion,
or Jack Nicklaus's record number of consecutive starts in the
2. Nicklaus's record number of top 10 finishes or Tiger Woods's
record margin of victory in 2000?
3. The number of times John Daly has led the field in driving
distance or the number of times Daly has led in any other
4. Neal Lancaster's record score for nine holes or the number of
years that had elapsed between Arnold Palmer's first start and
the last time he made the cut?
5. The number of starts made by 1996 champ Steve Jones or the
number of majors won by Tiger Woods (including the U.S. Amateur)?
c. Baltusrol 1993; b. Shinnecock 1995; e. Congressional 1997; d.
Pinehurst 1999; a. Pebble Beach 2000
1. d; 2. c; 3. b; 4. e; 5. a
1. Irwin (45), Nicklaus (44); 2. Nicklaus (18), Woods (15); 3.
Distance (4), other (0); 4. Lancaster (29), Palmer (28); 5. Woods
(11), Jones (10)
If Your Score Was...
11-15 Cinderella story, tears in his eyes
6-10 Welcome to Bushwood
0-5 Miss it, Noonan