The race for PGA Tour player of the year? Tame stuff compared
with the recent discord on the LPGA tour. In the past few weeks,
Jan Stephenson got into hot water for dissing Asian players; NBC
was chastised by LPGA commissioner Ty Votaw for implying that
Sophie Gustafson, his girlfriend, had cheated while winning the
Samsung World Championship; Annika Sorenstam was upset because
she did not qualify for the Vare Trophy, which goes to the player
with the year's lowest scoring average in a minimum of 70 rounds;
and, last week, the leading money winner on the Korean men's tour
claimed that the Lakeside Golf Course was set up so that Se Ri
Pak, competing against men, would be a lock to make the cut in
the SBS Super Tournament, in which she finished 10th. Match the
quote with the person who said it.
A. GRACE PARK
B. BOBBY LINCOLN
C. JULI INKSTER
D. SE RI PAK
E. SHIN YONG-JIN
F. ROGER MALTBIE
G. JAN STEPHENSON
H. ANNIKA SORENSTAM
I. TY VOTAW
1. "[If Gustafson wasn't penalized] I can only say that I'm
shocked and saddened."
2. "Women can do it! I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't lower
my score, but I'm very satisfied."
November 3, 2003
3. "I fully accept that I'm fair game on any subject ... but to
impugn the integrity of our rules officials, I felt, and I still
feel, that was unfair."
4. "I cannot tell you how mad that makes me. I'm not going to get
the trophy, and I'm leading by almost a shot.... "
5. "[The Asian players] rarely speak. We have two-day pro-ams
where people are paying a lot of money to play with us, and they
say hello and goodbye."
6. "Golf is an honor game. Sophie's a straight-arrow person. I
totally believe in what she says. She played awesome and deserved
7. "She should come play with me. I have great emotions."
8. "The course was set up to have her make the cut. I knew she
would make it even before the tournament started."
9. "The players play the round and off they go. No one ever goes
to a function. No one talks, even though they can speak a bit of English."
ANSWERS: 1-F; 2-D; 3-I; 4-H; 5-G; 6-C; 7-A; 8-E; 9-B