Hundred Years' War In their centennial game, Johns Hopkins bested archrival Maryland

April 25, 2004

As fans filed out of Homewood Field last Saturday night in
Baltimore, two members of the 1962 Johns Hopkins lacrosse team
lingered in the stands. A raucous sellout crowd of 10,555 had
just watched the No. 1-ranked Blue Jays defeat archrival and
third-ranked Maryland 14-10 in the 100th meeting between two of
the nation's alltime lacrosse powers. "We have two seasons: one
versus Maryland, the other versus everyone else," said Homer
Schwartz, a midfielder on that '62 team. Added former teammate
and Hall of Fame attackman Jerry Schmidt, "I don't feel sorry for
[Maryland]. At least we have bragging rights for the next couple
of weeks [when the teams could meet again in the NCAA

Those bragging rights have been bandied back and forth since the
teams first met in 1895. Hopkins, a private college with an
undergraduate enrollment of 4,000, has considered public giant
Maryland (25,500 students), located 20 miles to the southwest, as
a school for the sport's blue-collar toughs. "Before games," says
Joe Cowan, a Hall of Fame attackman for the Blue Jays in the late
1960s, "we used to sing the Maryland fight song: 99 Bottles of
Beer on the Wall." Maryland doesn't mind playing up the
class-warfare angle either. "We'll beat you today," longtime
Terrapins coach Dick Edell would say, firing up his players, "but
we'll work for you two years from now."

In 19 of their last 43 meetings either the Blue Jays or the Terps
were ranked No. 1, and heading into Saturday's game, four of the
previous six matchups had been decided by one goal, with Hopkins
(the 63-36-1 leader in the series) winning the last two in

In the centennial meeting the Blue Jays, who had gained the top
ranking following Navy's surprise 9-6 win over then No. 1
Maryland on April 10, played aggressively from the opening
face-off and scored just 68 seconds in. Four more Hopkins goals
followed in the next four minutes as the fast, athletic Blue Jays
blew through a Terrapins defense that was ranked first in the
country. By the end of the first quarter Hopkins had fired 18
shots at goalie Tim McGinnis (Maryland had five against the Blue
Jays' Scott Smith) and led 8-1, with All-America junior attackman
Kyle Barrie having scored three times.

In the wake of that onslaught Terps coach Dave Cottle assigned
senior defenseman Chris Passavia to take face-offs in a bid to
control the ball and slow the pace. Maryland had some success,
closing to within 9-5 in the second quarter, but could not
overcome the early damage. Hopkins won the battles for ground
balls 35-20 and face-offs 16-10. "It was like death by a thousand
wounds," said Cottle. "We just couldn't figure out how to stop

After the game Blue Jays All-America junior midfielder Kyle
Harrison, who scored two spectacular goals in the first half,
stood on the field exhausted and sore. Like his teammates and the
Maryland players, he wore a replica jersey from the early '70s to
commemorate the 1973 NCAA championship game in which Maryland
beat Hopkins 10-9 in double overtime (the Terps' first NCAA
title). "The atmosphere was incredible," said Harrison, surveying
the postgame scene. "I feel fortunate to be a part of this

COLOR PHOTO: DAVID BERGMAN BLUE JAY WAY Matt Rewkowski and Hopkins sliced up Maryland's top-ranked D.

Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)