STEROIDS AND BASEBALL
This is an article from the March 28, 2005 issue
40 What Do We Do Now?
Joyful memories of Mac and Sammy in 1998 are undone by the House hearings by Gary Smith
54 Yes, Hard Feelings
Continuing a bitter rivalry, the U.S. travels to Mexico for a World Cup qualifier this week
by Grant Wahl
58 Meet the Shockers
Cool-headed, low-seeded upstarts provided welcome jolts in the first two rounds
by Grant Wahl
66 Can Kobe Do It Alone?
Kobe Bryant tries to rally the Lakers--although he doesn't connect with his teammates
by Jack McCallum
BEDEVILED Mississippi State's Gary Ervin was bowled over by Shavlik Randolph as the Blue Devils beat the Bulldogs to reach the Sweet 16 (page 58).
6 Leading Off
15 Air and Space
Winter wonderland? Winter wasteland is more like it. Report from a sports shut-in by Steve Rushin
• The baddest boy in pro tennis
• Pat Summitt catches Dean Smith
• Slutskaya wins skating worlds
29 Faces in the Crowd
76 The Life of Reilly
You have to talk about the past, Mac. And tell the truth by Rick Reilly
72 College Wrestling
• Lee wins second NCAA title
74 The NBA
• Unpredictably, Nellie quits Mavs
• White Sox' Japanese second-sacker
INSET PHOTO: Damian Strohmeyer
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
• Calling all roto rooters: Are you ready for your fantasy draft? Join a league or run your own at SI.com/fantasy. And study up with our team-by-team previews and breakdowns of the best players at each position.