OCTOBER 10, 2005
VOLUME 103, NO. 14
This is an article from the Oct. 10, 2005 issue
42 The Tide Has Turned
After a decade of struggles, Alabama is again rolling behind a strong-armed quarterback who wears number 12. Florida found that out the hard way
by Mark Beech
• Led by three sensational freshmen, Penn State is ready for Ohio State
48 Who's the Man?
Is it Papi or A-Rod? The American League MVP race, like the AL East battle, was a photo finish
by Tom Verducci
52 Baseball Awards
With Barry Bonds out of the picture, Albert Pujols finally gets his due
by Tom Verducci
58 The Best of Carson
The Bengals' Carson Palmer is the NFL's hottest young quarterback
by Jeffri Chadiha
62 Pride and Punishment
Diego Corrales went through hell to beat José Luis Castillo--now the rematch
by L. Jon Wertheim
Doug Flutie is back in the Boston area to finish his career and fully take on the challenge of raising his autistic son
by Karl Taro Greenfeld
6 Leading Off
19 Air and Space
Here's to the dawn of the Wie generation
by Steve Rushin
• How beermen deliver the goods
• Eddy Curry's heart: a test case
31 Faces in the Crowd
82 The Life of Reilly
To the kids go the foul balls, and other new rules
by Rick Reilly
76 College Football
• True freshmen making an impact
• Texas can't lose to OU, can it?
78 The NFL
• The Chargers' hard road ahead
• No bite in the Jaguars' offense
• Roy Jones Jr.'s act has gotten old
ON THE WEB
CHECK OUT SI.COM DAILY FOR THE LATEST TAKE ON SPORTS NEWS
• Throwing for 369 yards on Sunday despite a sports hernia, Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb (left) again showed his toughness. For analysis of his showdown against the Cowboys, plus a look at this week's other games, click on Don Banks's Snap Judgments at SI.com/nfl.
• How far will the twice-beaten Patriots fall and how high will the undefeated Redskins rise in Dr. Z's Power Rankings? Get the expert's opinion at SI.com/zimmerman.
• In what could be his last hurrah, 43-year-old Roger Clemens (right) will try to lead the Astros to their first World Series. Check out SI.com/baseball for playoff coverage. Also, relive the greatest moments in Division Series history at SI.com/photos.
• They're movers and shakers in the world of football. To see a gallery each week of the most photogenic cheerleaders (left) at college and NFL games, go to SI.com/photos.
• After a 310-day lockout and lots of bad press, the NHL makes its return this week, with 18-year-old Penguins phenom Sidney Crosby as one of the star attractions. Get Darren Eliot's View from the Ice at SI.com/nhl.
• All eyes will be on Texas this Saturday as quarterback Vince Young (below) and the No. 2 Longhorns attempt to end a five-game losing streak to Oklahoma. Get a preview of this and other key matchups, plus postgame analysis at SI.com/college football.
PHOTOGRAPH BY BOB ROSATO
INSET PHOTOS: Chuck Solomon (Pujols); Damian Strohmeyer (Rodriguez); John Biever (Palmer)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED (ISSN 0038-822X) is published weekly, with an extra issue in February and two issues combined in July and at year end, by Time Inc. Principal Office: Time & Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY 10020-1393. Ann Moore, Chairman, CEO; Richard Atkinson, Executive Vice President. Periodicals postage paid at New York, NY, and additional mailing offices. Canada Post Publications Mail Agreement No. 40110178. Return undeliverable Canada Addresses to: Postal Stn A, PO Box 4322, Toronto, ON, M5W 3G9. GST #122781974RT. U.S. subscription: $89.04 for 56 issues. SUBSCRIBERS: If the postal service alerts us that your magazine is undeliverable, we have no further obligation unless we receive a corrected address within two years. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, Post Office Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602, MAILING LIST: We make a portion of our mailing list available to reputable firms. If you would prefer that we not include your name, please call or write us. ¬©2005 TIME INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITHOUT PERMISSION IS PROHIBITED. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF TIME INC.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUBSCRIPTIONS: For 24/7 service, please use our website: www.si.com/customerservice. You can also call 1-800-528-5000 or write to SI at P.O. Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602.