This is an article from the Oct. 17, 2005 issue
38 The D in Indy
With sack artist Dwight Freeney, the Colts finally have a top-notch defense
by Michael Silver
42 Can USC Be Beat?
The Trojans' 27-game winning streak will end this season ... won't it?
by Austin Murphy
Houston beat Atlanta in 18 innings
by Daniel G. Habib
50 Power and Fury
The White Sox sweep the Red Sox
by Tom Verducci
52 The Next One
In Week 1, Sidney Crosby showed why expectations of him are so high
by Michael Farber
54 End of Darkness
Memphis fans have embraced Darius Washington after his devastating miss
by Grant Wahl
The Making Of a Coach
The forces that shaped the Patriots' Bill Belichick: his dad, his coach at Andover and a classmate
BY DAVID HALBERSTAM PAGE 58
8 Leading Off
14 Catching Up With ...
19 Air and Space
The college football doubleheader: two wins in one day by a combined score of 106-14 by Steve Rushin
• Joe Pa and new-look Nittany Lions
• Another boxing fiasco
• The NBA: Beware what you wear
29 Faces in the Crowd
72 The Life of Reilly
A Haitian soccer phenom in Colorado who can't go home again
by Rick Reilly
68 The NFL
• Favre pulls a reappearing act
• Running backs galore in Denver
• The Rangers' boy wonder G.M.
INSET PHOTOS: John Biever (Belichick); Bob Levey/WireImage.com (Clemens); Peter Read Miller (USC)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEB SI.COM
GO TO SI.COM DAILY FOR SCORES, STATS AND BREAKING NEWS
• Michelle Wie (left) makes her LPGA pro debut this week at the Samsung World Championship. For coverage, as well as a photo gallery of the teen phenom, check out SI.com/golf.
• The first week of the NHL season is in the books. Which teams started fast and which ones stumbled out of the gate? The NHL Power Rankings are at SI.com/nhl.
• Halfback Darius Walker (right) and ninth-ranked Notre Dame get their dream opponent this weekend as No. 1 USC visits South Bend. For a preview and a gallery of the rivalry's top moments, go to SI.com/collegefootball.
• With six weeks down in the season, Stewart Mandel names SI's midseason All-America team and takes a look into the Crystal Ball to see, among other things, which teams will flop in the second half and which ones will surprise. Take a look at SI.com/collegefootball.
• Guess who's back? With the return of Ricky Williams to the NFL, SI.com's Peter King, Don Banks and Dr. Z weigh in on what it means to the Dolphins at SI.com/nfl. Also see a gallery of whom Williams and Ronnie Brown would have to overtake to be among the 10 greatest rushing tandems of all time.
• Is it time for Scott Podsednik (right) and the White Sox to reverse their curse? For coverage of the AL and NL Championship Series, including Tom Verducci's postgame columns, go to SI.com/baseball.
• For preseason rankings and a gallery of Midnight Madness hot spots, go to SI.com/collegebasketball.
Behind the brilliant relief work of Orlando Hernandez in Game 3, the White Sox beat Boston 5-3 to win their first postseason series since 1917.
Joe Paterno and unbeaten Penn State prepared to take the field before their 17--10 upset of conference rival Ohio State last Saturday.