JANUARY 16, 2006
VOLUME 104, NO. 2
This is an article from the Jan. 16, 2006 issue
34 Launch Party
Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson are waging a historic scoring duel
by Jack McCallum
40 Next Stop, Indy!
The Steelers hope to avenge their loss to the Colts
by Jeffri Chadiha
• The Patriots are peaking for Denver
44 Picking Up Speed
Carolina is making it look like 2003 all over again
by Michael Silver
• Clinton Portis propels the Redskins
48 The Other Dukies
The high-scoring Blue Devils women's team has its eye on a title
by Kelli Anderson
50 Lucky Loser
Jason Gore finished last in the PGA opener, but he could grin like a winner
by Alan Shipnuck
NHL MIDSEASON REPORT
Derided at first, the tiebreaker has been a shot in the arm for the NHL
by Michael Farber
Born in the U.S.A., the free-spirited sport of snowboarding will soar in Turin. So will U.S. riders
By Chris Ballard
6 Leading Off
15 Air and Space
Match the plates--QB KILLA, IHOP--with the pros
by Steve Rushin
• World Baseball Classic questions
• Marcus Vick's cloudy future
• Jock-casting: athletes' TV cameos
26 Faces in the Crowd
72 Life of Reilly
It's suiter than you thought for NBA stars who visit Vegas
by Rick Reilly
68 College Basketball
• Bonanza for the Big East
70 Olympic Sports
• A speedskater takes on the world
71 The NBA
• Denver tries to swing a big deal
PHOTOGRAPH BY JOHN BIEVER
INSET PHOTOS: Robert Beck (Bryant); John Biever (Manning, Urlacher); Peter Read Miller (Alexander, Iverson); Damian Strohmeyer (Brady)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEB
GO TO SI.COM DAILY FOR SCORES, STATS AND BREAKING NEWS
• Twelve years ago Michelle Kwan (left) lost her spot on the U.S. Olympic team to an injured Nancy Kerrigan, who had been given a medical exemption by the U.S. Figure Skating Association. This weekend a committee will decide whether Kwan, who has a right groin injury, deserves an exemption herself for the Turin Games. Get analysis of the vote and the results of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships at SI.com/Olympics.
• At $3 million a year, Robert Horry delivers great value for the Spurs; at $5 million a year Jerome James does not for the Knicks. Jack McCallum examines the league's best and worst bargains at SI.com/nba.
• For anyone who thought that West Virginia's trip to the regional finals last March was a fluke, note that Kevin Pittsnogle (left) & Co. have won by 24 at No. 7 Oklahoma and by four at No. 3 Villanova, and lost by one to No. 2 Texas. Get the scoop on West Virginia and Luke Winn's Power Rankings at SI.com/collegebasketball.
• Peyton Manning (left) may be the best active player in the NFL never to have won a Super Bowl, and Indy's Tony Dungy the best active coach never to have won the title. Is this the season the two finally get over the hump? Follow the NFL playoffs and read Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback at SI.com/nfl.
• With the Daytona 500 only five weeks away and teams already testing in Florida, what are the five most pressing questions in NASCAR? Find out at SI.com/nascar.
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED (ISSN 0038-822X) is published weekly, with an extra issue in February and two issues combined in July and at year end, by Time Inc. Principal Office: Time & Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY 10020-1393. Ann Moore, Chairman, CEO; Richard Atkinson, Treasurer; John S. Redpath Jr., Secretary. Periodicals postage paid at New York, NY, and additional mailing offices. Canada Post Publications Mail Agreement No. 40110178. Return undeliverable Canada Addresses to: Postal Stn A, PO Box 4322, Toronto, ON, M5W 3G9. GST #122781974RT. U.S. subscription: $89.04 for 56 issues. SUBSCRIBERS: If the postal service alerts us that your magazine is undeliverable, we have no further obligation unless we receive a corrected address within two years. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, Post Office Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602, MAILING LIST: We make a portion of our mailing list available to reputable firms. If you would prefer that we not include your name, please call or write us. ¬©2006 TIME INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITHOUT PERMISSION IS PROHIBITED. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF TIME INC.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUBSCRIPTIONS: For 24/7 service, please use our website: www.si.com/customerservice. You can also call 1-800-528-5000 or write to SI at P.O. Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602.