Tszvetana Pironkova, who beat Venus Williams in the first round of the Australian Open, is just the latest female tennis player to come from athletic stock. (Her father, Kiril, was a Bulgarian canoeing champ.) In fact, it sometimes seems that having a jock for a father is a prerequisite for joining the WTA tour.
See if you can match the following players with their sporty sires.
1. Bill, former pitcher with the Expos, Reds, Yankees, Astros and Tigers
2. Alexandr, former cyclist and coach of six Olympic and world champs
3. Richard, has claimed that he played for the Lakers, been a golf champion and a high school football player in Louisiana superior to Billy Cannon
4. Leo, 1988 Belgian soccer player of the year
5. Dr. J
6. Radoslav, former Bulgarian rowing champ
7. Wink, 1968 Olympic volleyball team member
8. Ernest, former cornerback with the Saints, Falcons and Lions
9. Phil, former outfielder with the Mariners, Phillies, Orioles and White Sox
A. Lindsay Davenport
B. Kim Clijsters
C. Megan Bradley
D. Carly Gullickson
E. Jamea Jackson
F. Sesil Karatantcheva
G. Svetlana Kuznetsova
H. Venus and Serena Williams
I. Alexandra Stevenson
Answers: 1-D; 2-G; 3-H; 4-B; 5-I; 6-F; 7-A; 8-E; 9-C.