46 LeBron, ActII
The Cavaliers' leader at 21, LeBron James charges into the second phase of hisunparalleled career with his postseason debut this weekend
by Chris Ballard
THE FIVE TOUGHQUESTIONS
1. How far can LeBron take the Cavs?
2. How much gas is left in the Diesel?
3. Who's the NBA's George Mason?
4. What are this year's x factors?
5. Which under-the-radar player will leave his mark?
April 23, 2006
56 The HappyRanger
Surrounded by fellow Czechs, Jaromir Jagr is the key to New York'spostseason
by Michael Farber
Five more stars who will make or break Cup dreams
by Yi-Wyn Yen
EAST: THE FASTWILL FLOURISH
Team speed and underrated players could be decisive
by Pierre McGuire
WEST: HEALTH IS ANISSUE
The fate of some title hopefuls will hinge on injuries
by Pierre McGuire
62 Buffalo Soldier
After two rocky years, Colorado hired a happy warrior in coach Dan Hawkins
by Austin Murphy
THE MEXICAN CONNECTION
How Operation Gear Grinder shut down a flourishing steroid trade
by George Dohrmann and Luis Fernando Llosa
8 Leading Off
21 Air and Space
Go figure: The Nets coach's playing experience (zero); his double-digit winstreaks (two) by Steve Rushin
• The Knicks' soap opera season
• Fay Vincent on MLB's dilemma
• Is Brett Favre turning off fans?
36 Faces in theCrowd
86 Life ofReilly
Ozzie Guillen's understanding of baseball is unsurpassed. The trick isunderstanding Ozzie
by Rick Reilly
• A pair of Carloses power the Mets
• Jim Thome's comfort zone
82 The NFL
• Ohio State's old-school 'backer
85 Horse Racing
• Lawyer Ron roars into the Derby
PHOTOGRAPH BY BILL FRAKES
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, goto sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEBSI.COM
WITH 150 ORIGINALSTORIES A WEEK, INCLUDING ROUND-BY-ROUND ANALYSIS OF THE NFL DRAFT, SI.COMOFFERS, 24/7, THE SAME FINE WRITING AND PHOTOGRAPHY THAT CAN BE FOUND IN THEPAGES OF SI
1. Find all oursection fronts with a new bi-level navigation bar.
2. Follow your favorite MLB, NBA or NHL team every day with our new andimproved flash scoreboards, updated in real time as the action unfolds.
3. Get the latest NBA playoff analysis from Jack McCallum and Ian Thomsen.
4. Check out NFL draft updates, including Tony Pauline's Risers and Sliders andDon Banks's mock draft.
5. Read compelling profiles and inspiring stories every Friday in The Bonus.This week Lars Anderson writes about how sports brought joy to his dyingcousin.
6. Who are the biggest celebrity superfans in college sports? To find out go toSI on Campus.
7. Think you can be wittier than Pete McEntegart? Submit your entries to theAll-Reader 10 Spot on the first Friday of every month at Scorecard Daily.
8. Glance at our photo galleries, including one on the biggest NFL draft bustsof all time.
9. Catch Riffs of Reilly, by SI's award-winning columnist Rick Reilly, everyThursday.
10. Weigh in on the latest issue with our polls, updated daily.