This is an article from the May 28, 2007 issue
34 Turbulent Heir
Prince Fielder is out to prove that any resemblance to his father, Cecil, ends with his prodigious home runs
by Albert Chen
40 Winning the West
Even with a latter-day Stockton and Malone, the Jazz will be hard-pressed to stop the Spurs' march to the title
by Jack McCallum
46 Party Crasher
Just when it looked as if there might be another bid to end the Triple Crown drought, Curlin came of age
by Tim Layden
50 Senator Emery
Stylish goaltender Ray Emery has helped lift Ottawa to the Cup finals
by Michael Farber
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS
The New Main Event
Ultimate fighting changed its ways to gain acceptance. Now its success is changing the sports landscape
by L. JON WERTHEIM
6 Leading Off
• First Person: Justin Verlander
• The cycling trial takes a wild turn
• Al Unser Jr. cleans up his act
• A brief history of sports promises
• The Red Sox and their vino
• Are video games the new poker?
32 Faces in the Crowd
72 Life of Reilly
From childhood Matchbox fantasy to adult waking nightmare: roaring into Turn 1 at Indy
by Rick Reilly
• A five-tool rookie sparks Houston
• Would the Cards deal Scott Rolen?
69 Track and Field
• The U.S. stars of the future ... now?
• Veterans with an eye on Beijing
• Denny Hamlin asserts himself
• Irksome Juan Pablo Montoya
PHOTOGRAPH BY GREG NELSON
INSET PHOTO: Al Tielemans
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
> > > SPORTS IN REAL TIME. ALL THE TIME. ALL FREE. CUSTOMIZED ACCESS TO ANY FOUR OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS. HD-QUALITY PHOTOS. STREAMING VIDEO. THE BEST NEWS AND ANALYSIS ON THE WEB
NOW ON SI.COM
> > THE TOP SHOTS OF THE NBA PLAYOFFS
> > CHECK OUT THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS AND MORE AT SI.com/nbapix.
> Roger That
New NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is quickly putting his mark on the sport, and he's doing it by keeping an open mind. People in the NFL office in New York City hear the following from Goodell all the time: "How can we do things better?"
> Read more of this column at SI.com/king.
> Let's Make a Deal
Three trades that need to be made:
1) Reds OF Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.
2) Rockies 3B Garrett Atkins and 1B Todd Helton to the Angels.
3) Nationals RP Chad Cordero to the Indians.
> Read more of this column at SI.com/heyman.
> Most Viewed
1. Photos: The Facial Hair Hall of Fame
2. The NFL's 10 shakiest quarterback situations
3. NCAA volleyball's 6'7" Recht twins
> Our picks
1. NHL Truth & Rumors: A Daniel Briere move?
2. Extra Mustard's daily Hot Clicks
3. Golf's 10 biggest disappointments
Should the Nets dump Vince Carter?
> SI.COM WRITERS FACE OFF
> See who makes the best argument and weigh in with your thoughts at fannation.com.
Pick your favorite teams and get news from across the Web and photos on your desktop at SI.com/mySI.