This is an article from the Oct. 22, 2007 issue
36 The WinMachine
After dismantling the Cowboys, Tom Brady and the Patriots are playing on theirown plane. Can the Colts, or anyone else, stop them?
By Tim Layden
42 Fresh Juice
No. 2 South Florida leads a charge of the state's up-and-coming teams
By Austin Murphy
• Second thoughtsat midseason
• Danny Woodhead'srun to glory
• SI's bowl-gamematchups
50 It's in theAir
In a postseason of one-sided series, the Indians--Red Sox showdown had the rarelook of a drawn-out drama
By Tom Verducci
• Rolling Rockiesare here to stay
Still haunted bythe death in Vietnam of his best friend and teammate, the author found anotherhigh school standout killed in action, in Iraq
by JACK McCALLUM
6 Leading Off
• Why is it so hard to play QB?
• Jeff Garcia on the NFL and garlic
• Poll: Who's the best pro punter?
• The Boss yields control to sons
• Overcoaching in Special Olympics
• Brandon Jacobs's tattoo
35 Faces in theCrowd
78 Life ofReilly
Turn on your TV and you already get jocks around the clock. Isn't that enough?Nah
by Rick Reilly
70 The NFL
• The vanishing old-school fullback
73 High SchoolFootball
• Prospect's diary: Cal or Oregon?
• Stewart's losses: Don't blame me!
PHOTOGRAPH BY JOHN BIEVER
For reprints of SIcovers visit www.SIcovers.com.
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, goto sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
NOW ON SI.COM
‚Ä∫‚Ä∫‚Ä∫ SPORTS IN REALTIME. ALL THE TIME. ALL FREE. CUSTOMIZED ACCESS TO ANY SIX OF YOUR FAVORITETEAMS. HD-QUALITY PHOTOS. STREAMING VIDEO. THE BEST NEWS AND ANALYSIS ON THEWEB
‚Ä∫‚Ä∫ THE HOTTESTTEAMS IN HISTORY
‚Ä∫‚Ä∫ TROYTULOWITZKI'S ROCKIES AND OTHER HISTORIC TEAMS AT SI.COM/HOTTEAMS.
‚Ä∫A Game for AllAges
Vinny Testaverde came off the couch—literally—a month shy of his 44th birthdayto start his first football game in two years (and win it).
Even after voting Matt Grothe and USF No. 1, I wouldn't be surprised if theBulls' run ends as soon as Thursday night, at Rutgers.
‚Ä∫ Read more ofthis column at SI.com/king.
‚Ä∫ Read more ofthis column at SI.com/mandel.
‚Ä∫ MOST VIEWED
1. Politician DQ'dfrom Berlin Marathon
2. Trent Greenexplains controversial block
3. Photos: BestMonday night finishes
‚Ä∫ OUR PICKS
1. The Ride video:Two guys, one car
2. NASCAR PowerRankings: Jeff Gordon is No. 1
3. Truth &Rumors
‚Ä∫ If a chunk ofChester Taylor's 22 carries had gone to star rookie Adrian Peterson, Minnesotamight not have needed a last-second field goal to beat Chicago.
‚Ä∫ Weigh in withyour thoughts or challenge Andrew Perloff to a Throwdown at fannation.com.
Pick your favorite teams and get news from across the Web and photos on yourdesktop at SI.com/mySI.