SPORTSMAN OF THEYEAR • BRETT FAVRE
This is an article from the Dec. 10, 2007 issue
42 Beyond hispassing and on-field leadership, his greatest attribute is the devotion heinspires in those he touches
58 Can You SayPlayoff?
If ever a seasonscreamed for the BCS to be blown up, it's this one. But that won't happen untilthe folks at the Rose Bowl come to their senses
70 Sean Taylor,R.I.P.
He had been deadless than nine hours when a website ran the headline taylor's death is tragicbut not surprising. So much for resting in peace
By Jim Trotter
SI set out to findthe NHL city that can rightfully call itself the capital of the sport
Dwight Howard, allof 22, has turned the NBA into his own Magic kingdom
A cardiovascularabnormality has become a leading killer of young athletes
THE BEST NAME
Members of a clandescended from freed slaves in the Bahamas have left their mark across sportsin the U.S. By S.L. Price Page 100
6 Leading Off
14 From theEditor
• A tribute toEvel Knievel
• First Person:Marcus Camby
41 Faces in theCrowd
SI's Sportsmanknows a penny's true value by Peter King
Inside . . .
134 The NFL
• Reggie Waynefills Indy's void
139 High SchoolFootball
• What a breakoutseason can mean
• A 12-year DavisCup drought ends
145 The NBA
• Has Philly foundits new AI?
• Rebuilding inNew Orleans
PHOTOGRAPH BYWALTER IOOSS JR.
For reprints of SIcovers visit SIcovers.com.
To sign up forSPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter go tosicustomerservice.com/siextra.
SPORTS IN REALTIME. ALL THE TIME. ALL FREE. CUSTOMIZED ACCESS TO ANY SIX OF YOUR FAVORITETEAMS. HD-QUALITY PHOTOS. STREAMING VIDEO. THE BEST NEWS AND ANALYSIS ON THEWEB
Cast Your Vote
COLLEGE FOOTBALL'SSECOND SEASON
Want to be part ofa college football playoff? You can--starting this week on SI.com, where thefans' votes determine the winner of our mythical 16-team tournament. Othercollege football coverage this week includes . . .
• Time for a realplayoff? SI writers Stewart Mandel, Austin Murphy, Cory McCartney, Bill Trocchiand Luke Winn offer their BCS solutions
• The HeismanWatch: Gene Menez's final rundown of the candidates includes a Q&A withfront-runner Tim Tebow of Florida
• From Poinsettiato Fiesta: Stewart Mandel ranks the bowl games, 1 to 32
SEE ALL THIS ANDMORE AT SI.COM/COLLEGEFOOTBALL.
• MOST VIEWED
1. Redskins safetySean Taylor shot
2. Ex-Miamiteammate: Taylor was targeted
3. Photos: femaleathletes off the field
• OUR PICKS
1. Devin Hesterand the NFL's other great gamebreakers
2. Photos:noteworthy retirements of 2007
3. Holiday giftguide
Check 'em all outat SI.com/traffic.
SI.com's highschool basketball preview includes:
• National Top25
• Best teams bystate
• Photo gallery oftop recruits
• Feature onSudanese 7-footer John Riek of Winchendon, Mass.
See it all atSI.com/highschoolhoops.