This is an article from the Dec. 31, 2012 issue
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year ... for college football fans! With the bowl season in full swing, SI.com has complete coverage of every game, including breakdowns of the matchups you can't miss, players to watch, and an in-depth look at all five BCS bowl games. Will Florida annihilate Louisville in the Sugar Bowl? Can Northern Illinois silence the critics and prove its worth in the Orange Bowl? Will Oregon and Kansas State live up to the hype in the Fiesta Bowl? Stewart Mandel predicts the winner of every game in the Bowl Pickoff, while Holly Anderson provides answers to fans' Frequently Asked Questions for every bowl.
Get the latest scores, sports news and insight from SI writers on SI.com's newly designed mobile site.
Type SI.com into your mobile web browser.
SI DIGITAL BONUS
Namath And the Bear
In August 1961, two legends-in-the-making met on a practice field in Tuscaloosa. Alabama—and the game itself—would never be the same
BY RICHARD HOFFER
• The NHL will eventually return and will expand by two teams
• The Patriots will beat the Packers in Super Bowl XLVII
• Derrick Rose will be awfully good upon his return—but won't ever be the same
• Kentucky won't recover in time to win the SEC or make a Final Four run
• A defensive player will be the No. 1 pick of the NFL Draft
• Bryce Harper will be better at 20 than Mike Trout was
• Kevin Durant will win his first NBA MVP Award
• The Yankees and the Red Sox will miss the postseason
• Ohio State will dominate Big Ten football (and this time it'll count)
• An SEC school will qualify for the BCS title game for the eighth straight season
For more of our writers' predictions for 2013 go toSI.com