Basketball player likely died from chewing gum in sleep

CALIFORNIA, Pa. (AP) A western Pennsylvania university student and basketball player likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania.

University officials said they were ''deeply saddened'' by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

An autopsy was conducted Monday.

Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.