College player dies after possibly choking on gum while sleeping

Wednesday January 21st, 2015

Shanice Clark, a women's college basketball player at California University of Pennsylvania, died on Sunday after possibly choking on chewing gum while she was sleeping, according to the Observer-Reporter.

Police said the preliminary report from medical personnel indicates Clark aspirated on gum while sleeping, but cause of death is pending an autopsy. The 21-year-old was found unresponsive in her apartment around 3 a.m. Sunday and was taken to a hospital, but could not be revived. 

From a statement by Cal U athletic director Dr. Karen Hjerpe:

"Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Shanice Clark. Shanice was a bright student and talented player. Her smile and personality will be missed."

Clark was a senior on the team and was redshirting this season. A native of Toronto, Ontario, she transferred to Cal U after spending two years at Sante Fe College in Gainesville, Fl.

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide — from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Grant Wahl, Andy Staples and more — delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.