What happened with Mooch and your daily update on the MSU search for a new head coach!
Hondo S. Carpenter
What happened with Mooch?
Here are some facts.
- Mooch was the number one guy to those in the search.Â He was very interested but his wife does not want to move to Michigan she wants to stay in California.Â Now we can argue semantics over whether or not he was â€œofferedâ€ the job, but according to two sources that were both independent of each other (one of them was a source on the JLS firing) and they are not allies for sure, they even floated the idea of Shurmur being on Moochâ€™s staff so when he was done it would have been a seamless transition.Â As of yesterday Mooch made it clear that it isnâ€™t going to happen.Â Something that Izzo confirmed to us last night.Â By the way you can hear all of Tomâ€™s comments tonight on the 6:15 Hondoâ€™s Highlights.
- According to two sources, Todd Grantham the DC for the Browns feels very confident about the job and he should.Â His name is clearly in front now.Â The search is being handled thoroughly and they are fact gathering now so as to pull the trigger as soon as possible.
- Bo Pelini has been contacted by MSU and is interested in the job.Â Here is some more info on him:Â http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&KEY=&SPID=2164&SPSID=28715
- It has been reported as you know that Jon Tenuta has been contacted and he is letting it be known that he is also very interested.Â http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tenuta_jon00.html
- With the WMU and CMU game approaching, imagine if a WMU team that is 7-2 currently, wins and then goes to Florida State and does something or a CMU wins and either team gets to 10 or 11 wins which is very possible.Â Would you want MSU to not at least interview an in State MAC coach that has double digit wins?Â Both programs know the mid west and both men are well liked in State.Â That would not be wise to me.Â I am not endorsing anyone but I am saying that how could you not at least take a look?
- Pat Shurmurâ€™s name has always been and remains on the radar.Â I hear two complaints about him.Â 1) He does not have coordinator experience at all (let alone headÂ coach)Â and has been in the NFL eight years.Â 2) Some feel that he would be a polarizing figure that would have a wave of love and a wave of angst that would take us back to the JLS predicament with so many already against him.Â MSU needs a unifier and they know it.
I am not endorsing anyone.Â I am simply keeping you abreast of the search.