2006 Spartan Nation mock draft is here!
Hondo S. Carpenter
Spartan Nation 2006 Mock Draft
***This does not take into consideration the fact that we all know there will be trades***
- Houston Texans Reggie Bush, RB USC How do you not pick a man that is considered by many to be a Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders prototype?
- New Orleans Saints Dâ€™Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia This mammoth tackle will take over on the line and dominate from day one for 10 seasons.
- Tennessee Titans Matt Leinart, QB USC With a head coach and an offensive coordinator from USC, you canâ€™t see him being passed up.Â Bud Adams is the worst owner in football, and may take Vince Young.Â I think Young is a better pick, but not with the staff they have in Nashville.
- New York Jets Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt The Jets loved his workout that was cold and windy outdoors.Â The same conditions that he will face in Giants Stadium.Â If I were the GM I would trade down with DaBrick gone.
- Green Bay Packers A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State A.J. is a special talent and will fill a role in GB.Â He will be a dominant figure and will punish NFC North teams twice a year.
- San Francisco 49ers Vernon Davis, TE Maryland They need playmakers in 49er land.Â They got their QB last season in Alex Smith and now they want to surround him with guys to throw to.
- Oakland Raiders Vince Young, QB Texas Al Davis gets the strong-arm gunslinger he loves. Anyone remember a guy named Stabler?Â Vince is a great pick and will make the folks in Oakland real happy.
- Buffalo Bills Mario Williams, DE N.C. State Dick Jauron is the new coach and along with GM Marv Levy loves defensive minded guys.Â In my opinion this is just to far up in the draft to pick the inconsistent Williams but I also wouldnâ€™t have hired Jauron.
- Detroit Lions Mike Huff, S Texas With the speed of a shut down corner and the hitting ability of Ronnie Lott, the Lions fans will rejoice with this early Christmas present.
- Arizona Cardinals Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon they got a RB in free agency (Edge) and if you saw them play, they need defensive playmakers.Â They are high on Ngata and will take him if he is on the board at 10.
- St. Louis Rams Tye Hill, CB Clemson The Rams need help on defense and although this may be a high place for Hill, he fits a huge need.
- Cleveland Browns Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida State Coach Romeo loves the big bruising tackles and this is not an immediate need this season, but will be next.Â This allows Bunkley to come in and not be rushed.Â Browns fans may not like it this year but will in the future.
- Baltimore Ravens Winston Justice OT USC Yes they have Ogden but now they have the bookend and future replacement for him.Â The Ravens have the defense it is the offense that is terrible.Â This is a good place to start.Â They will get Steve McNair once he is cut so another good tackle just buys him more chances to do what he is all about.
- Philadelphia Eagles Chad Jackson, WR Florida We all know what happened at the WR position on this team last season.Â This fills a need.
- Denver Broncos Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College The Broncos are risk takers and one area they have to address is the DE spot.Â This is a good place to fill that need.
- Miami Dolphins Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech You can say what you want about Saban, but you canâ€™t call him a bad coach.Â He loves the attack defense and that is only possible with CBâ€™s that can man up.Â Williams can and this is a great pick for the Dolphins.
- Minnesota Vikings Chad Greenway, LB Iowa Not only are they able to fill a huge need, they also get a nearby kid that will put butts in to many empty Metrodome seats.
- Dallas Cowboys DeMeco Ryans, OLB Alabama This young man is a hitting machine.Â He is the tough strong LB (similar to Harry Carson/Carl Banks) that Parcells loves.
- San Diego Chargers Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State With an inexperienced QB in Rivers, this will allow him to have a fast flashy target.
- Kansas City Chiefs Antonio Cromartie, CB Florida State The Chiefs under new Coach Herm Edwards will install a new defense (Tampa 2) like the Lions and Cromartie gives them the tough versatile CB that it takes to do that.
- New England Patriots DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis State He is the type of runner that they like there and the RB position is getting older.Â This is a great pick for them.
- San Francisco 49ers Sinorice Moss, WR Florida State this will give them as far as need the best draft of anyone.Â Getting to skill position starters automatically improves this ball club.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Ernie Sims OLB Florida State The Bucs have and aging defense and have to address it.Â Sims does just that and also gives them yet again another local product.
- Cincinnati Bengals Ashton Youboty, CB Ohio State The Bengals have a huge need at this position, and they get a prototypical Lewis player and a local, canâ€™t go wrong with this.
- New York Giants Bobby Carpenter, OLB Ohio State The Giants have long had a great LB core and this pick gets them yet another one.Â Carpenter is a bruiser with good feet and better instincts.Â Great young man and pick.
- Chicago Bears Jonathan Joseph, CB South Carolina Lovie has built this team on defense and he sticks with it.Â We saw last season that this team needed some versatility in the CB position and Joseph gives them that.
- Carolina Panthers Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota Maroney is a heads up RB with exceptional vision.Â This is a superb pick considering all the question marks at the RB for the Panthers and the fact that Maroney is such a perfect fit for this system.
- Jacksonville Jaguars Leonard Pope, TE Georgia The Jags love this guy and feel like he is a better TE then Davis who I projected to be picked at #6.Â They will be hooting and hollering in Jacktown with this pick.
- New York Jets Nick Mangold, C Ohio State After addressing offense at #4 they stay at the crucial OL with this fine center prospect.Â Centerâ€™s never go this early that is true, but it has been a long time since one came out of college this good.
- Indianapolis Colts LenDale White, RB USC they need a back to replace Edge and LenDale has the qualities.Â There are questions about Whiteâ€™s work ethic and commitment but that locker room and Dungy will fix those issuesâ€¦fast!
- Seattle Seahawks Tamba Hali, DE Penn State they need a guard and may go for Jean-Gilles but Hali is a steal at this spot and they have to take him.Â Look for a guard in round 2.
- Pittsburgh Steelers Joseph Addai, RB LSU Addai is versatile and fast, but is also a great blocker, something you have to do to play for Cowher.Â He does a lot of things that the Bus did, as well as what Deuce does.Â This is a very good spot to pick up Addai and also a great spot for him.
There you go people, my 2006 mock draft.Â Like I said, there will be some trades but it does give you a lot of info.Â I talked with at least one person closely connected to each team and in many cases multiple people to give you the best idea I could.Â Letâ€™s all enjoy this holiday.