ATLANTA, Ga - North Carolina heads to Georgia to ignite the Tar Heel fire. The Heels are coming off a tough loss against NC State embedded in becoming unranked. The Tar Heels have been ranked at some point in 64 of 73 seasons in the AP poll. UNC has been ranked 928 times in the AP poll, more than any other school in college basketball history.
Coach Roy Williams is debuting a new lineup against the Yellow Jackets; A shocker to most, RJ Davis, Andrew Platek, Kerwin Walton, Day’Ron Sharpe, and Armando Bacot.
This is the first change in the starting lineup this season. Last season, UNC used 10 different starting lineups, most in the Roy Williams era at UNC.
This is the first non-start for Garrison Brooks (other than Senior Night last year vs. Wake Forest) since the final game of his freshman season in 2017-18.
- North Carolina comes out a little hesitant with their new lineup; An immediate three turnovers in 2 minutes but have ramped that up with a quick lineup change with Leaky Black and Caleb Love. Heels head into a media timeout, 7-4.
- It's a one point game in ATL; Michael Devoe drowned a three before the timeout closing in on the deficit, UNC, 11-GaTech, 10
- North Carolina with an 8 point lead over Georgia Tech after two free throws by Davis. North Carolina leads, 19-11
- UNC still takes the cake during commercial timeout but the Yellow Jackets are not letting up. GaTech is utilizing the three to keep themselves in the game and forcing UNC to pick up the speed. The Heels lead, 26-21.
- Caleb Love knocks down his first three pointer since Iowa (12/8)
- Leaky Black and Garrison Brooks have both shown up tonight. The Heels close out the first half with the lead, 35-29. Armando Bacot leads the Heels with 8 points and 2 rebounds.
- Garrison Brooks adjustments since his last game has been night and day. Brooks has emerged aggressive and ball intelligent; He is currently the Heels second scoring leader with 9 points, but leads in rebounds with 7.
- Georgia Tech is still in play as the climb within one early in the second half. Devoe opens up the half with 7 points, and a big three to help the Yellow Jackets. The Heels still lead, 46-45.
- Whew! Andrew Platek and Caleb Love with huge 3 buckets to get the Heels to a tied game, 52 all!
- Big 3 from Dr. K! Heels lead, 61-53
- Under the 2 minute mark, Georgia Tech has a 3 point lead, 68-65.
- UNC is currently on a 2:30 scoring drought. Sharpe misses the FT but responds with a layup to inch the Heels within one, 68-67. Media Timeout.
- North Carolina couldn't finish and fall to Georgia Tech, 72-67.
Immediate Notes following:
- The loss drops UNC to 5-4 overall and 0-2 in the ACC.
- This is the sixth time UNC has begun ACC play with two losses (also in 1980, 1997, 2009, 2013 and 2014).
- This was the first time this season UNC did not trail in the opening half. Carolina’s six-point halftime lead (35-29) was its largest since seven-point leads in the first two games of the season vs. Charleston and UNLV.
- Senior Andrew Platek made his 10th career start. He started nine consecutive times last January-February (from Clemson on 1/11/20 through Wake Forest on 2/11/20)
- Carolina committed 18 turnovers for the second game in a row. The Yellow Jackets out-scored UNC, 19-10, in points off turnovers.
- Caleb Love made multiple threes for the first time since the Stanford game on 12/1/20.