Big 12 Power Rankings
With the beginning of conference play starting, we're going to be taking a look at all Big 12 teams to see how they stack up.
Power Rankings after Week 1 of Big 12 Play:
1. Oklahoma - The Sooners came into conference play on a roll, with an impressive win over Ohio State, and two blowout victories. They allowed Baylor to stay close into the fourth quarter, and showed some weaknesses, especially on the defensive side. With their high powered offense firing on all cylinders, they're firmly planted in the number one spot, and look to stay here.
2. TCU - While many were considering the Big 12 to be a two horse race between OU and OSU, TCU showed that they deserve some consideration. Beating No. 6 OSU on the road in a convincing fashion is enough to move them to #2.
3. OK State - OSU dominated their first three opponents in non-conference play. They were unable to reign in TCU, and found themselves losing at home. They still appear to be one of the stronger teams in the league, and will look to build off this loss.
4. WVU - Despite struggling early against Kansas, WVU was able to pull off a decent win. While their offense seems to be one of their best in recent years, the defense continues to struggle. Will they get it together before facing TCU in two weeks? Or will there be a repeat of thier 2012 season.
5. Texas Tech - After a blowout against Eastern WA, and a win over ASU that was much closer than it should have been, Tech was able to snap the nation's longest home winning streak at Houson. With a powered offense, and questionable defense, it will be a true test for them against OSU.
6. Iowa State - Iowa State is off to a 2-1 record, in their best start since 2012. Had a few more plays went their way against Iowa, they could be sitting at 3-0 right now. Matt Campbell seems to have this team heading in the right direction, and will have a chance to prove themselves against Texas at home.
7. Texas - After disappointing losses to Maryland and USC, Texas will open Big 12 play against Iowa State. They've shown flashes of greatness, but seem overall inconsistent. Against an improved ISU, they'll need to prove they still deserve elite status in the conference.
8. Kansas State - Despite a high ranking and impressive start, K-State showed some serious weaknesses in a loss to Vanderbilt. Expect Coach Snyder to turn this loss around, and start climbing their way back up the rankings.
9. Kansas - The Jayhawks were hoping this season could a major improvement over the past few years, and while they have shown some promise, they can't seem to close out these games. At 1-3, the Jayhawks will need to pull of some serious upsets if they hope to avoid a last place finish in the conference. Again.
10. Baylor - While Kansas has been struggling, Baylor is the clear last place team in the Big 12. Starting off 0-3, with losses against Liberty, UTSA, and Duke, the Bears seem to be in for a rough year. They seemed to rebound against OU, playing the No 3 Sooners close into the fourth quarter. They should be able to build of this, and while it won't be an easy road for them, they're not going to make it easy on anyone else.