The Detroit Lions have many intriguing training camp battles on the horizon.
Supporters will be keenly monitoring battles at running back, linebacker, wide receiver and at the safety position all throughout training camp.
"The Lions have a very interesting group in the midst of their rebuilding project on defense. Their top pick, Hutchinson, will have the inside track to a starting role, but (Charles) Harris was brought back in the offseason after a breakout 2021 campaign," Sam Monson wrote. "A former first-round pick in his own right (albeit 22nd overall, not second overall), Harris recorded 52 pressures for Detroit last season -- 18 more than his previous career high. His 78.7 PFF pass-rushing grade was a career-best by more than 10 grading points. Harris will be firmly in the mix for a lot of snaps to see if he can back that performance up."
Factor in the returning Romeo Okwara, as well as rookie Josh Paschal, and it's clear-cut that defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn will have the opportunity to evaluate who comes out on top.
Recommended Lions Articles
Look: Lions and Colts Fight During Joint Practice
Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts get a little testy during their joint practice.
D'Andre Swift Reveals Extremely Lofty Goals for 2022
D'Andre Swift has lofty expectations for the season he will have in 2022.
TE Devin Funchess Leaves Joint Practice Early
Detroit Lions tight end Devin Funchess appeared in a lot of pain when he left practice, according to reports.
Okwara posted 66 pressures in 2020, before appearing in just four games in 2021.
Paschal posted a 90.2 overall PFF grade his final collegiate season at Kentucky.
Romeo’s brother, Julian Okwara, will also be battling with Austin Bryant for a roster spot.
Here is a look at other Lions news being reported this week.
- Team reporter Tim Twentyman explores five numbers the Lions must keep up in 2022.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports on why people should not sleep on wideout Amon-Ra St. Brown in 2022.
- The Detroit News reports on Tim Boyle and David Blough "battling hard" for a supporting role in Detroit's offense.
- Jeff Risdon of USA Today's LionsWire reported on the NFL's announcement this week of rookie reporting and training camp kickoff dates.
- Woodward Sports explored this week if Aidan Hutchinson and Paschal will be part of the keys to success for Glenn's defense.