The Detroit Lions will be without their top wide receiver in Tyrell Williams for the foreseeable future, after the veteran was placed on injured reserve due to a head injury.
The defense will also be without their young rookie defensive back, Ifeatu Melifonwu, as he will miss the next few weeks rehabbing from a thigh injury.
The "next man up" in Detroit's defense will surely have an opportunity to cement his spot on the roster going forward.
Rookie A.J. Parker has quickly earned increased time out on the playing field, as has been relatively productive early in his career.
"My confidence is high, man," Parker told reporters on Thursday. "I've been playing football for a long time, and it's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid, so I just want to come in here and make the most of every opportunity I can get."
Parker currently ranks as the 11th best cornerback in the league, according to Pro Football Focus, and among NFL rookies, he’s graded the second best.
"I've got to play sound defense," Parker said. "I can't jump out of gaps and I can't be out of position. I have to be in the perfect position every time, and do my job every time. That's how we'll be successful."
The Lions return home to face the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. from Ford Field.
Recommended Lions Articles
Aaron Donald Has Warned Jared Goff: 'I'm Going to Be Coming After Him'
Aaron Donald has warned Jared Goff about his plans to not take it easy on his former teammate.
Why Lions Need to Worry about Rams WR Cooper Kupp
Wide receiver Cooper Kupp is among the several deep-threat options for the Los Angeles Rams.
Bold Prediction: Lions' Defense Will Intercept Matthew Stafford Four Times
Aaron Glenn has experience preparing for Los Angeles Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford.
Detroit Lions' Friday Injury Report
Did not practice (NP)
- OLB Trey Flowers (Shoulder) Questionable
- LB Jamie Collins (Non-injury related) OUT
Limited practice (LP)
- RB D’Andre Swift (Groin) Questionable
- WR Kalif Raymond (Thigh) Questionable
- DL Michael Brockers (Shoulder) Questionable
- OLB Romeo Okwara (Shoulder) Questionable
- OLB Julian Okwara (Neck) Questionable
- DE Kevin Strong (Head) Questionable
- Subscribe to the AllLions podcast on iTunes
- Like and follow AllLions on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter: @detroitpodcast @vitojerome @llamorandier @danielkellybook @CBooher_
- Follow Detroit Sports Podcast on Instagram: @detroitsports_podcast
Become a premium AllLions member, which grants you access to all of our premium content and gets you a FREE subscription to Sports Illustrated! Click on the link below for more