2015 Spartan Nation NFL Mock Draft
Hondo S. Carpenter
Five of my friends who are NFL scouts (or personnel/MGMT people) agreed to give me their mock drafts again this year. They represent five different teams. This is their MOCK DRAFTS, not mine. A few years ago we were the ONLY media MOCK draft that had Tim Tebow being picked in the first round and Jimmy Clausen NOT. Seemingly every year we get some great tid bits of knowledge like that.
Three of them reminded me (to remind you) that this is what they think will happen based on what they are hearing. It is NOT what they would do. For example ALL FIVE had Dorial Green-Beckham OFF their boards, but felt the Chiefs would take him.
Of the five teams represented four of the five said that if they were Tampa Bay they would NOT pick Jameis Winston. Three of them said that he would go first overall in their mock drafts. Two of them thought the interest by Tampa Bay was only a smokescreen, hoping someone would step up who really wanted him. Just for the record the two teams that did not pick Winston first overall had the Bucs taking Marcus Mariota and Leonard Williams respectively. This is the first year in all of the years we have done this at Spartan Nation that of the five teams, there were three different number one picks.
I will keep each of their identities confidential as you can imagine that their respective teams wouldnâ€™t appreciate their participation in this endeavor. All I asked from them was that they give me their MOCK DRAFT. I weighed all lists and put them in the appropriate order. I didnâ€™t have them make their teamâ€™s pick (that is why a fifth person is added) and I didnâ€™t add comments as that may reveal their identity.
This list is not the order that I think they will be drafted, it is simply five men who get paid to do this for a living and who they think teams will pick. We did not let them add where or when they thought trades would occur. Again NO TRADES are factored in. I weighed each of their picks and the list is based upon their consensus and drafts. Here it is:
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jameis Winston QB Florida State
2. Tennessee Titans Marcus Mariota QB Oregon
3. Jacksonville Jaguars Leonard Williams DT USC
4. Oakland Raider Kevin White WR WVU
5. Washington Redskins Amari Cooper WR Alabama
6. NY Jets Dante Fowler OLB Florida
7. Chicago Bears Brandon Scherff OL Iowa
8. Atlanta Falcons Todd Gurley RB UGA
9. NY Giants Vic Beasley OLB Clemson
10. St Louis Rams Andrus Peat OL Stanford
11. Minnesota Vikings Trae Waynes DB Michigan State
12. Cleveland Browns Devante Parker WR Louisville
13. New Orleans Saints Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky
14. Miami Dolphins Laâ€™El Collins OT LSU
15. San Francisco 49ers Arik Armstead DE Oregon
16. Houston Texans Breshad Perriman WR UCF
17. San Diego Chargers Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin
18. Kansas City Chiefs Dorial Green-Beckham WR Oklahoma
19. Cleveland Browns Danny Shelton DT Washington
20. Philadelphia Eagles Nelson Agholor WR USC
21. Cincinnati Bengals Landon Collin SS Alabama
22. Pittsburgh Steelers Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest
23. Detroit Lions Marcus Peters CB Washington
24. Arizona Cardinals D.J. Humphries OT Florida
25. Carolina Panthers Ereck Flowers OL Miami (FL)
26. Baltimore Ravens Phillip Dorsett WR Miami (FL)
27. Dallas Cowboys Byron Jones CB Connecticut
28. Denver Broncos Cameron Erving OL Florida State
29. Indianapolis Colts Malcolm Brown DT Texas
30. Green Bay Packers Jordan Phillips DT Oklahoma
31. New Orleans Saints Jalen Strong WR Florida State
32. New England Patriots Laken Tomlinson OL Duke
For my own personal use I have asked every year who they think are the â€œEliteâ€ players. In the NFL draft NO ONE is a canâ€™t miss when nearly 50% of first rounders are considered a failure. The most they have every agreed on is four players. The lowest is one. This year there are two consensus names. The criteria for picking an elite player is this: If your owner told you that you would get a 10 million dollar bonus or be fired and owe him 10 million dollars on ONE pick, regardless of need, who is the most sure fire canâ€™t miss player in this draft.
So the two names that ALL five agreed on as canâ€™t miss were 1) Leonard Williams DT USC 2) Amari Cooper WR Alabama.Â Remember that you can watch all of the draft on the NFL Network.