February 23, 2007
I was at the 5 a.m. workouts at the Duffy this morning, and then came straight here to Indy.Â I am leaving here late on Saturday to go back for the MSU vs. IU game and coming right back after, so I am posting this and going to sleep!
Â Notes from the combine:
- The Lions are sending out as many smoke signals as they can, but in the end they wonâ€™t trade their pick unless someone offers a stupid deal like the Giants did to the Chargers.
- At the number two pick the clear choice is Joe Thomas the OT from Wisconsin.Â With that being said, Gaines Adams the DE from Clemson.Â Joe Thomas is getting a lot of love and one AFC GM (that I have known a long time) told me today â€œif I was Detroit it would Thomas and a trade wouldnâ€™t even be talked about.Â You take that guy and move Backus to RT and you have done a major job at fixing the line.â€Â Thomas is clearly the choice but Adams could sneak in.
- Here is a secret:Â the Lions are having dinner tonight with Thomas.Â
- I asked Thomas what he felt about being a Lion today and he was all smiles â€œâ€¦I think if you look they were in so many games and with a team that is improving I like the idea of being part of being part of building something. I would love that to happen.â€
- I will be speaking to Gaines on Sunday.Â I am coming back late tomorrow for the MSU game and then coming right back Saturday night afterwards.
- I am not thin and I admit that, bit wow, neither is JaMarcus Russell.Â He was 265 but looks bigger than that.
- Pac Man Jones will not be a Titan if they have anything to say about it.Â
- More love for Thomas:Â "I think I'm a very technically sound offensive tackle.Â I think I have a great work ethic. I think I really study hard, study my opponent hard.Â I think I'm a guy that won't settle for anything less than perfection when it comes to all aspects of my game."
- There seems to be real optimism about Brandon Fields.Â One scout of a team that admitted that they liked fields said, â€œHe sure can boot the ball, but gets down and plays tough.Â We are not a team that accepts our special teams having ten guys.Â We expect a punter to go down and do something, that Fields is one tough cookie.â€
- Matt Trannon however is not getting much love.Â I talked to three scouts who need receivers and all three were less then impressed.Â â€œEver heard of Mike Mamula?Â He was a guy with all the physical attributes but failed.Â Trannon set the record for catches in a game but they were all screens behind the line of scrimmage.â€Â That was from an NFC team scout.Â A scout from an AFC team said, â€œhe canâ€™t catch the ball.Â Sure he can when it was the screen pass but he drops so many passes.Â For all the talk about him being tough, he sure hears footsteps.â€Â Lastly a scout from an NFC playoff team echoes earlier sentiments about Trannon with â€œâ€¦heâ€™s kind of like that girl in school that had all the features and looked good, but it was all a waste.Â I am sure he is a good kid but he just drops too many passes and you canâ€™t waste downs at this level.â€Â Ouch, it doesnâ€™t sound good for Matt; letâ€™s hope he has a good workout.
- I will have a lot on Drew and Cliff Ryan tomorrow.