- The Lions practiced on the indoor field in shells (helmets, shoulder pads and shorts) today at the team headquarters and training facility in Allen Park.
- Detroit Head Coach Rod Marinelli will make his regular season coaching debut this week against Seattle, the 2005 NFC Champions, at Ford Field. The Lions are 3-0 in regular season openers at Ford Field and will face the Seahawks for the first time since moving into their new home. The two teams have met nine times in the regular season with Seattle holding a slight 5-4 series edge.
- There are approximately 200 tickets remaining for Sunday's game vs. Seattle after the Seahawks returned unsold tickets from their allotment. These tickets are now available for Lions' fans to purchase via detrotilions.com, TicketMaster.com, TicketMaster outlets and over the phone through TicketMaster at 248.645.6666. The team has reached a sellout for this week's game vs. Seattle and the game will be televised live in Metro Detroit on WJBK-TV FOX Channel 2. Dick Stockton will handle the play-by-play with Daryl Johnston adding color commentary and Tony Siragusa reporting from the sideline. The game will also be broadcast nationally on the Sports USA Radio Network, featuring play-by-play announcer Larry Kahn and color commentator Tim Pernetti. Reporting from the sidelines will be Troy West.
- The following players have been listed on the Detroit Lions' injury report: WR Shaun Bodiford (knee) and TE Casey FitzSimmons (wrist) are out. DT Shaun Cody (shoulder) and LG Ross Verba (hamstring) are probable. Verba was added to the Lions injury report today. Bodiford, FitzSimmons and Verba each missed the team portion of practice.
- The following players have been listed on the Seattle Seahawks' injury report: TE Jerramy Stevens (knee) is out. LB LeRoy Hill (shoulder) is questionable. DT Russell Davis (foot), WR Darrell Jackson (knee) and T Walker Jones (shoulder) are probable. The Seahawks added Hill to their injury report today. Hill and Stevens both missed the team portion of practice today.
LIONS HEAD COACH ROD MARINELLI
On non-football issues regarding Defensive Line Coach Joe Cullen: "I'm not talking about Joe and I'm going to just leave it with that statement - there's some confidentiality there. It's being handled in-house and anything in regards to Joe I'm leaving with yesterday's statement."
On today's injury update: "In terms of our injuries; we're nursing Ross Verba a little bit; Shaun Cody had a better day, he finished a couple series. Verba has a little bit of a hamstring so we're watching him a little bit. Bodiford and FitzSimmons did not practice.
On Defensive Line Coach Joe Cullen: "Anything with Joe in terms of distraction and those things, that's a big part of everything I believe in about distractions. It's a hard tough physical camp, playing one snap at a time and that was part of the trip to Oakland. That's distractions. Who can forget that, their plane trip, and concentrate on the game. You have thirteen guys that can do that. So those are the things and that's how you handle the situation. The team, they seem to respond very well and we'll find out when we come in and put ourselves on the field on game day."Â
On coach's comment of his being the only voice, now Matt Millen is the voice of the situation: "We've (Coach Marinelli and Matt Millen) come to an agreement together and Matt handled the statement."
On if Cullen is going to continue to coach: "Just what I said, I'm not talking about Joe. Listen to me; my initial statement. I'm trying to be polite. My initial statement, that's what I'm staying with. I'm not going to deal with it; not going talk. We handled it in-house. It's some confidentiality here and that's where I'm going to leave it."
On if Cullen is going to continue coaching: "I'm not going to talk about Joe, ok."
On if Cullen is going to continue coaching: "It's the same question; I'm just not going to bring it up anymore. We handled it in-house."
On personal accountability; the perception is that the Cullen incident is being ignored: "I'm not going to talk about Joe right now, you have to see it. It is an in-house decision. The team knows, I know and that is what's important.
On the team's confidence being disrupted: "I had a great, great talk with our team this morning"
On if the team is going to have a defensive line coach for Sunday's game: "Yeah."
On if Marinelli is going to be the defensive line coach: "I'm that every week. I'm a big part of that."
On Marinelli working with the defensive line similar to howÂ MartzÂ works with the quarterbacks: "I've done it each week. I'm in every drill and I'm a big part of it on game day anyway."
On if LG Ross Verba is listed as probable: "Yes, the way we list him is probable."
On not listing RT Rex Tucker and WR Shaun Rogers: "They practice all day; every drill we practiced in. Shaun Rogers practiced every drill in shoulder pads, every drill."
On if a decision for who gets the starting spot Tucker or Stokes Sunday was made: "Not yet, but Stokes has had more playing time right now. We'll sort it out."
Courtesy of the Lions