Hondo S. Carpenter
Thanks again for taking the time to read Spartan Nation.
- On Mondayâ€™s House my guest will be Ryan Van Dyke.Â Former Marshall high, MSU and current Grand Rampage of the arena league QB.
- There is no Hondoâ€™s House on Friday.Â ABC 53 has Big Ten tournament coverage.Â We will however have a special edition on Wednesday at 7:30.Â We will be talking MSU basketball and hockey leading up to the Big Ten tournament and the CCHA playoffs.Â My special guest will be Todd Schulz from the Lansing State Journal.
- Shannon Brown told me after the game yesterday and Todd Schulz wrote about it in the LSJ today, that he is returning to MSU.Â Now letâ€™s be fair, he is a young man, and I am sure he will debate it.Â However, if he is not a sure top Â½ of the NBA draft, I think that this would be a good decision.Â Izzo would for sure do everything in the world to feature him.
- The MSU women lost today in the Big Ten tournament to the #1 seed Buckeyes.Â The girls played so well but it was not to be.Â They fought so well and made us all proud but it was not to be.
- Tigers 1st baseman Dmitri Young came up injured in a spring training game yesterday after suffering a leg injury while trying to run out a ground ball.
- Curtis Granderson (he will be on Hondoâ€™s House in April) is having a great spring and his new coaches love this guy.Â That is also why the red Sox wanted him so bad this off-season.Â Thank God that Dombrowski (Tigers GM) didnâ€™t give in to pressure and trade some great young talent for some â€œnamesâ€ that would have excited people but hurt the club down the road.
- The defendant and the Lakers came back in the 2nd half to beat our Pistons.Â It was the Pistons 2nd game in two days.Â The Pistons simply looked tired.Â Luckily for them they donâ€™t play again until Tuesday when they host the Bulls at the Palace.
- The Red Wings continued their dominance of the NFL blasting the Phoenix Coyotes 7-3 and helping their old goalie Cujo get pulled.Â They have today and Monday off, and host Phoenix at the Joe on Tuesday.
- The MSU basketball team will be the #6 seed in the Big Ten tournament.
- MSU hockey is going to face Alaska-Fairbanks, the Nanooks will head south to East Lansing to battle Michigan State at Munn for round two of the CCHA playoffs!
- I just got a call from a source in Minneapolis.Â Hall of Fame outfielder Kirby Puckett has suffered a stroke and is undergoing Neo surgery at Scottsdale Osborne Hospital while I am writing this.Â I have been fortunate to have met Kirby on many occasions, and yes, he has had some off field issues but he was always very kind to me and everyone I ever saw him deal with.
- UNC freshman Tyler Hansbrough is an absolute stud.Â If you ask me, Roy Williams right now is the coach of the year in the entire NCAA. Â He has done a far better coaching job this year (he wonâ€™t win the title) then when he did last year.Â If you have not gotten the chance to watch this young man, then check the TV guide and do it.Â You wonâ€™t regret watching him play.
- With opening of the Ole Miss job, I was told late yesterday by someone very close to the situation that Mike Davis, the soon to be former coach of Indiana is by far the front runner and the job is his if he wants it.Â My source says that it is their impression that other then negotiating the deal is all but done.Â I talked with a source in Bloomington who said that the job â€œintriguesâ€ Davis and he would certainly be interested.Â When I asked the source if their had been any informal chatter, all he said was â€œwouldnâ€™t you like to know.â€
- A source in Stillwater, Oklahoma told me that Eddie Sutton could be in more trouble.Â He said â€œA security camera at a middle school in Stillwater caught the former OSU coach holding an unidentifiable bottle and urinating on school grounds.â€
- Duke has lost 2 in a row, doesnâ€™t that just sound nice?Â Yes it does!
- By the way, props to Ohio State who won the Big Ten title outright.Â To have done that is a good achievement in this league.
- It is only 7 months and 2 days until the MSU vs. UM football game!
Thanks everyone, hug your loved ones and remind them that you love them!