News and Notes From Around the Spartan Nation
- Why didnâ€™t Joel Foreman start on Saturday?Â Simple.Â MD told us last night, â€œForeman didnâ€™t wear a tie.â€Â
- Javon was so weak that he couldnâ€™t eat and at times sat down tired from walking.Â He is eating now and wonâ€™t miss Saturday.
- I bet that Mark Dantonio isnâ€™t the only person shocked at the emergence of the left side of his offensive line.Â If you would have told me in August when camp opened that the Spartans would run left in big situations more than not, I would have laughed.Â I asked MD about it last night and he agreed that their emergence as been huge.
- Looking back to when the schedule was announced, how many looked at a bye week (after the 11th) game and said what?Â Now you look at it as a blessing.Â A week to game plan and rest the week before the biggest game since the Rose Bowl?Â Brilliant!
- The Spartan administration knows that the contract deal with Mark Dantonio has to be redone.Â They are already behind the scenes planning on it.Â What is the one thing that it will take to get MD to sign it?Â More money for his staff.Â MD wonâ€™t sign a deal that doesnâ€™t reward them and he shouldnâ€™t.
- Spartan Hockey is losing money...a lot of money.Â The once self-supporting program is losing cash and now Munn needs a nearly $1 million dollar roof.Â One person inside the financial side of the University told me this morning, â€œGetting hockey back to profitability will be Hollisâ€™s most difficult task.â€Â There are a lot of reasons why this is happening.Â None of them fall at the feet of Hollis, but he is the one charged to fix it.Â Anyone that knows Hollis can tell you, he will.
- The Administration recently voted to TAKE more money from MSU athletics.Â Yes, once again (on a subject I have hammered) the University needed more money so they voted to reach back into the athletic departmentâ€™s pockets.Â Not only does the athletic department not get parking or concessions and numerous other ridiculous financial arrangements, now the Administration recently voted to take more.Â It is pathetic.Â People that say the fan doesnâ€™t pay are simply wrong!Â Hollis has to balance his checkbook (remember the need for a new million dollar roof on Munn) and can have money taken out with virtually no say!Â The Spartan Nation brags about having a self-sufficient athletic program (and they should) but athletics is essentially silenced in telling people how much the University helps itself to it.Â For those that wish Hollis or others would say more itâ€™s time to wake up.Â Do you really think the guy is going to rip his bosses?Â Hollis is one of the most intelligent and capable people that I know, but that would be career suicide considering the political climate that permeates MSU.
- Coach Perles is contemplating a run at Governor.Â People have told Perles many times in his life what he canâ€™t do and he always ends up making them look bad.
- Tomorrow is Election Day and big changes could be coming to MSU.Â There will be AT LEAST one new Trustee and possibly two.Â I am not a huge political person, but I spoke with someone today that is.Â He told me that with big numbers projected in Michigan turning out for Obama, that it could be a rough day for Romney who is the only incumbent on the ballot and a Republican.Â This person is neutral politically, but told me he was predicting two new Trustees based on how these types of elections usually run next to a major national one.Â For those of you who donâ€™t know, the MSU Board of Trustees is made up of Republicans and Democrats along with President Simon.Â There are eight Trustees.Â In what may surprise people however, they are not usually divided among party lines.Â Who the new Trustee(s) aligns with could be huge for MSU moving forward.
Thousands of empty seats in Spartan Stadium on Saturday was a joke.Â Here the team is still in a Rose Bowl Chase, at the time 7-2 and there are vast numbers of seats empty?Â I understand that many of the empty seats were student seats, but there were empty seats all over Spartan Stadium.Â Here is the thing.Â They were SOLD seats.Â I understand the economy.Â I get that there is no choice between tickets and a mortgage.Â I am talking about bought and paid for seats being empty?Â Are people too lazy to give them to people who would have loved that once in a lifetime experience?Â The same old Spartans didnâ€™t show up at Spartan Stadium on Saturday.Â Their seats were empty and they were somewhere else!Â MD and the team are overachieving, sadly there is a segment of the fan base that isnâ€™t.