Updates from Allen Park:
- The Lions completed their third day of two-a-day practice sessions today at the team's practice facility. The morning session was a full-squad practice and in the afternoon, the team held a special teams practice. Detroit worked out in full pads in the morning and in shells (helmets and shoulder pads) in the afternoon.
- WR Dan Campbell was removed from the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list in time to participate in the afternoon practice session. WR Devale Ellis, RB Kevin Jones and DT Shaun Rogers remain on the PUP list and did not practice today.Â
- TE Eric Beverly informed the team that he is retiring from football after nine NFL seasons. Beverly returned to the Lions this past offseason after spending the past three seasons with the Falcons. He originally signed with Detroit as an undrafted free agent April 24, 1997 and played six seasons (1998-03) as a guard and center. Upon signing with Atlanta in 2004, he converted to the tight end position at which he played 45 games (seven starts), primarily as a blocking tight end, for one of the NFL's most productive running offenses.
- The team had an NFL officiating crew participate in the morning practice sessions today. Officials Don Carlsen (Side Judge), Greg Meyer (Side Judge), Jim Quirk (Umpire) and Paul Weidner (Head Linesman) spent the first three days of training camp in practice with the Lions calling penalties to both help the team and hone their own skills for the upcoming season. The officials met with the media today for rule clarifications and to explain rule changes and points of emphasis.
- The Detroit Lions will hold an open practice at Ford Field on Saturday, August 4, 2007. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. The Lions practice is free to the public - no ticket is necessary for entry. Fans can enter Ford Field at Gate A or Gate G. Practice will begin at 5 p.m. and will last until approximately 6:30 p.m. Immediately following practice, Ford Field will broadcast former Lions TE Charlie Sanders' 2007 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on the video boards. Parking will be available in the Ford Field Parking Deck on St. Antoine St. for $6.00 until 6 p.m. or until the deck is full. Autographs will not be available at the public practice.