Weekly NFL Column
- How about Jeff Backus?Â Lions fans have watched this great guy off the field struggle on it.Â He is the big money guy, the LT and he continues to make mistakes that punish the team.Â How long can that continue?
- Peyton Manningâ€™s new deal will carry about $60 million in guaranteed dollars. Consider this, the NFL puts millions into unproven kids.Â How can a guaranteed winner like Peyton (on and off the field) not be worth it?
- I first mentioned several weeks ago about speculation running wild about multiple teams going after Urban Meyer and letting him take Tebow to run his scheme.Â Last week we noted how Meyer himself came out publicly and addressed many teams being scared of the spread.Â One NFL exec told me Thursday night, â€œI fully expect the Jags to pull up to Urbanâ€™s door with a Brinks truck and try to make it happen.Â Urban and Tebow are Godâ€™s there and with that franchiseâ€™s struggles to get fans and success, it is a match made in heaven.â€
- One Redskin told me something funny last night during Monday Night Football.Â He said, â€œA lot of guys have been talking that Detroit is a MUST, and I mean a MUST win.Â We canâ€™t lose to those guys.Â Just canâ€™t.â€Â I think the Lions have to get a W against them, or it could be a while.
- Can someone tell me why the Bucs fired Gruden and hired Raheem Morris?Â Howâ€™s that decision working out?Â I am not saying Gruden was the second coming, but I am saying he is miles ahead of Morris?Â A reactionary move by ignorant owners makes everyone laugh.
- Who said that Favre wouldnâ€™t make the Vikes better?Â He isnâ€™t trying to be a hero, and that is working out just fine.Â More importantly the guy is having fun.Â I donâ€™t mind people being mad at the media circus that surrounds his will I or wonâ€™t I be back routine.Â I do laugh at all the people that said he was washed up and couldnâ€™t play.
- With an uncapped season all but guaranteed now watch out.Â NFL players will drop and the owners will win.Â Players donâ€™t think long term and they donâ€™t want the game checks stopping.Â I have talked to many (some even here on the site via video) and NOT ONE seems ready or even willing for a fight.Â The NFLPA is heading towards a fight their membership doesnâ€™t want.
- Eagles players are not expecting Donovan McNabb back this week.Â Speculation is that you will see them, but they donâ€™t think so and I trust them a lot more.
- How about the Jets getting massive fines for their artful work on the injury list.Â I know more than one NFL team that is scrambling to fix some issues there.Â GODell does one thing I really like, and that is attacking guys that try to dupe the system.Â Other than GIANTSCREENGATE in Dallas, he has been universal across the board going after teams.
- Plaxico Burress turns himself in today to start a two year prison sentence.Â He is a terribly immature, but good guy that just did something stupid.Â How he can go to jail for two years for SHOOTING HIMSELF, but Stallworth kill a man and not, tells me more about this nationâ€™s trouble than anything I can imagine.Â
- Word out of Cleveland is that Eric Mangini is sticking with Brady Quinn for one and only one reason.Â The fans love Quinn and with his many mistakes as the leader of the Browns it buys him some cover.Â Sad if true for a once proud and great franchise.
- I have said a lot about the Crabtree situation in San Fran.Â If he isnâ€™t signed next week, and I expect him not to be, I will take you into this fray in great detail.Â What a joke this has been.
- How about the Jets standing up and punching the Pats in the face this week.Â That is one of the many reasons to love football.Â All the talk always gets settled on the field.Â Coach Belichick is using his teamâ€™s lack of toughness to step up in a major way this week.
Scroll to Continue