Nebraska will be looking for a new athletic director.
AD Bill Moos announced Friday morning that he is retiring from the position effective June 30. It will end a 40-year career in collegiate athletics.
“I step away completely content, knowing that our athletic program is reborn and rebuilt and that it has a solid, stable foundation,” the 70-year-old Moos said in a statement.
Later Friday, when reached by the Lincoln Journal Star, he declined to say whether the decision to retire at the end of the current fiscal year was solely his.
"I started to think about it a year and a half ago or so," Moos told the newspaper. "Then the pandemic hit and there was no question that this ship needed its captain to navigate through that tough time."
He told the Omaha World-Herald that he'd had conversations recently with University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green about his buyout and was informed last week that he would retire almost immediately.
“Apparently this was the best time,” Moos told the World-Herald while declining to say who told him he’d be retiring.
Moos was hired in 2017 with a contract that ran through the end of 2022. He oversaw the major sports hires of Scott Frost for football, Fred Hoiberg for men’s basketball and Will Bolt for baseball. In total, Moos hired 12 Husker head coaches.
The Go Big Project, including the new $155 million football facility, broke ground earlier this year after Moos led the department through the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The incredible challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic were numerous and widespread," Moos said in the release, "yet our staff never wavered, never shied away from our fundamental responsibilities to protect health and safety and then to ensure the long-term stability of our Department. I am grateful for our staff’s service and commitment to our work and I have no doubt that great things lie ahead for Husker Athletics.”
Moos said in a his statement that he is appreciative of his time in Lincoln.
“I have been so fortunate to work as the Director of Athletics at four wonderful schools and have seen a lot but I have never witnessed and experienced the passion of fans like we have at Nebraska. The unflinching support of our programs and of our university is inspiring and unmatched. I have visited every part of our great state and engaged with thousands of Husker fans over the years, and there truly is No Place like Nebraska.”
Nebraska will now look to hire the 16th athletic director in school history. Garrett Klassy, senior deputy athletic director for external relations, will se interim athletic director.
This is a developing story. Follow the discussion on HuskerMax, and get additional coverage and analysis via these links. Scroll down for Adam Carriker's gut reaction:
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan: Three takes on the Bill Moos news
- Hail Varsity | Brandon Vogel: The Sunset of 'Sizzle' at Nebraska Begins a Complicated Time To Be Needing a New AD
- Lincoln Journal Star | Steven M. Sipple: Moos' surprise departure adds intrigue to a situation that leaves mind racing
- Omaha World-Herald | Tom Shatel: Bill Moos' tenure was short, but memorable. Now, Nebraska must look to the future
- Husker247 | Brian Christopherson: Understanding the timing for this Husker athletic director switch
- All Huskers | Is Ed Stewart Already In?
- Omaha World-Herald | McKewon: Who will be Nebraska's next athletic director? Some names to consider
- Lincoln Journal Star | Who might Nebraska target in a national search for Bill Moos' replacement?
- Hail Varsity | Who Nebraska Might Consider to Replace Bill Moos
- Husker247 | Names to the wind: Who might be Nebraska's next athletic director?
- Lincoln Journal Star | 'Apparently, this was the best time': AD Moos retiring after weeks of consideration, conversations
- Omaha World-Herald | 'I’m leaving as swiftly as I came': Bill Moos abruptly retires
- Husker247 | Moos will "step away" from Husker AD post content with NU athletics' stability
- Hail Varsity | Moos Will Retire at the End of the Month
- Nebraska Athletics | Moos to Retire
- HuskerOnline | Bill Moos announces retirement
- Omaha World Herald | Financial terms of Bill Moos' departure are still unclear
- Omaha World-Herald | Regents surprised by Bill Moos' retirement, but thank a 'great friend' to Nebraska
- Omaha World-Herald | Garrett Klassy takes over as interim athletic director
- Omaha World-Herald | Nebraska coaches react to retirement of A.D. Bill Moos
Timelines, galleries, etc.
- Lincoln Journal Star | Though historically short, Moos' tenure featured plenty of change
- Lincoln Journal Star | From three major coaching hires to a big-time facilities project, here's a look at the Bill Moos timeline
- Omaha World-Herald | Timeline of Bill Moos as Nebraska's athletic director
- Lincoln Journal Star | Moos photo gallery
- Omaha World-Herald | The 12 Husker head coaches hired by Bill Moos
- Omaha World-Herald | Video: NU athletic directors, 1948 to present