Nebraska special-teams coordinator Mike Dawson said Michigan State's pivotal punt return Saturday night is something "that will stick with you" even though his tendency is to "wash away" plays like that from his memory bank.
"Whether it's a missed field goal, a missed punt, a bad snap, whatever it might be ... it changes the game, alters the game completely," Dawson said after Tuesday's Nebraska football practice. "I think those guys know and understand what happened, and know what we need going forward and how we need to operate.”
Offensive coordinator Matt Lubick said the Huskers' execution needs to improve in the red zone, where the Huskers are ranked 92nd nationally. It also would help "to be able to run the ball, because there's less room for passing," Lubick said. "You can still throw the ball, but it's a lot more challenging."
After two consecutive close losses to nationally ranked teams on the road, the Huskers face Northwestern in Lincoln on Saturday night.
Refresh this page to be sure you're seeing the latest additions. Go here for the HuskerMax conversation. Asterisk indicates item may require subscription.
- Husker247 | Husker coordinator conversations: Updates after Tuesday's practice
- Husker247 | Morrison looks to build off showing up in crunch time Saturday
- Husker247 | Not cleared yet, but Fidone getting "very close"
- Hail Varsity | Lubick, Chinander Talk Offensive Line, Defense Ahead of Northwestern
- Nebraska Athletics | Chinander Reflects on Defensive Success in Michigan State Game
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Lubick talks OL; latest on TE Thomas Fidone's rehab and timeline; DL Rogers 'ready to roll'
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Garrett Nelson playing 'outstanding football'; NU's problematic punt return picture
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Husker assistant Dawson details 'death blow' special teams mistakes
- Lincoln Journal Star* | The Blackshirts are emerging, but DC Erik Chinander says 'we've got so much more to give'
- Omaha World-Herald* | One area of Husker success? Third-down offense
- Omaha World-Herald* | Everybody on Nebraska's special teams will be 'held accountable for their mistakes'
- Omaha World-Herald* | Husker notes: Thomas Fidone 'very, very close' to returning from knee injury
- Hail Varsity | Sorensen/Smith
- Omaha World-Herald | Bland/Watkins
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Two-Minute Drill
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan