The New York Giants celebrate Marvel Comics Superheroes Day at MetLife Stadium with a special commemorative comic book featuring six players (Saquon Barkley, Daniel Jones, Blake Martinez, Leonard Williams, Sterling Shepard, and Logan Ryan--immortalized in an action-adventure cartoon storyline with the Avengers.
In real life, the Giants look more like a MASH unit thanks to a slew of injuries that has torn through the roster, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The Giants are also playing at home, where they have yet to win a game this season and are 3-8 under head coach Joe Judge.
But as is the case every week, there is always a chance--some weeks more than others--for the Giants to surprise.
Why the Giants Will Win
The Panthers might have declared their intention to run the ball as much as possible against the Giants, but quarterback Sam Darnold will have to throw it at some point. And when Darnold has been under pressure t his year, he's completed just 51.4 percent of his pass attempts, with one touchdown and four interceptions.
The Giants pass rush has been in hibernation thus far this season. If it's ever going to awaken from its slumber, this would be the game to do it.
If the Giants can force a few mistakes from Darnold (and catch some of those interceptions that might come their way), that sure would go a long way to helping a significantly understaffed offensive unit who would no doubt welcome as many short fields as they can get on which to work.
Logan Ryan Named Giants' Nominee for Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award
Ryan is one of 32 players, one from each team, to be recognized for his outstanding service to the local community.
New York Giants Sink in Weekly MMQB Power Rankings Poll
The Giants 2021 season has spiraled out of control and the team's placement in MMQB's power ranking poll reflects just how far the once mighty Giants have fallen.
Giants Head Coach Joe Judge Needs to be Honest with Fan Base
Yes, there is a way to be honest about the team's shortcomings without singling out individuals, which is something Giants head coach Joe Judge has refused to embrace.
Why They Won't
Sunday might be Marvel Superhero day, but these Giants have proven unsuccessful in defeating the biggest arch-enemy of all, the injury bug. New York will be without top playmakers such as Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay, and Kadarius Toney. And while they should have Darius Slayton, Sterling Shepard, and Evan Engram available, it remains to be seen how effective those three will be.
And did I mention that left tackle Andrew Thomas is out for the next three games, leaving Matt Peart to handle the left tackle spot and Nate Solder to handle the right tackle spot?
That means the Giants are on their sixth starting offensive line combination in seven games against a pass rush that ranks sixth in league with a 7.62 sack percentage rate of opposing quarterbacks.
In his video appearance on the LockedOn Giants podcast (link below), Giants Country's Gene Clemons said it best. The constant state of flux this Giants team has had to go through because of the injuries has robbed it of any chance of building continuity.
Combine that with a defense that has struggled to stop the run and has struggled to defend the middle of the field, and it's tough to pick this team to win a game that would be a very winnable matchup under normal circumstances.
Panthers 24, Giants 20
More from Giants Country
- Why the Giants Need to Be Sellers with Trade Deadline Approaching
- New York Giants Week 7 Opponent First Look: Carolina Panthers Offense
- New York Giants Week 7 Opponent First Look: Carolina Panthers Defense
- New York Giants: Week 7 Storylines to Watch
- Giants' High-risk High Reward Plan Going Up in Smoke
- New York Giants Musings on the Week that Was and What's Ahead
- New York Giants Run Defense Put on Notice By Carolina
- New York Giants: Five Keys to an Upset Week 7 Win vs. Carolina
- Behind Enemy Lines: Five Questions Answered by All Panthers Publisher Schuyler Callihan
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel