CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Good morning and welcome to the State Farm Center where No. 12 Illinois (9-3, 5-1) will host No. 24 Ohio State (10-3, 4-3).
I'm LOOKING LIVE...at the State Farm Center in Champaign, Ill., as we're about a few hours from the opening tip.
NOTE: Please join us as we live-blog and discuss the Illini game here in our weekly Illini Gameday Open Thread. Dive into the conversation — it's easy — by simply going to the top right of the redesigned site and click the follow button.
You can log in with Facebook or Google and either way, it's free. That's right...IT'S FREE. From there, sound off in the comment section and share your reactions and observations with our staff and fellow members of the Illini Now/Sports Illustrated community as we keep you up to date of the game in real-time.
Game 13: No. 24 Ohio State at No. 14 Illinois
Date/Time/Place: Sunday, Jan. 16, 2021: 11 a.m. CST, State Farm Center in Champaign, Ill.
Capacity: N/A (NO FANS!)
Records: Maryland 10-3, 4-3 in Big Ten Conference; 24-7, 14-6 in the Big Ten Conference in 2019-20 season. Illinois 9-3, 5-1 in Big Ten Conference; 21–10, 13–7 in Big Ten Conference in 2019-20 season.
Line: Illinois by 6.5
Series notes: Illinois leads the all-time series 106-79 and Illinois leads 62-27 in Champaign. Today is the first time in four years that the Illini face the Buckeyes in Champaign. The last meeting came on Jan. 1, 2017, a 75-70 Illini victory.
TV: FOX; Tim Brando (PBP), Donny Marshall (Analyst)
Radio (Illinois): Brian Barnhart (PBP), Deon Thomas (analyst).
Justin Ahrens - G
Duane Washington, Jr. - G
Justice Sueing - F
E.J. Liddell - F
Kyle Young - F
Ayo Dosunmu - G
Trent Frazier - G
Adam Miller - G
Da'Monte Williams- G
Kofi Cockburn - C
- Illinois is 1-2 in top-25 match-ups so far this season, 95-92 all-time, and 35-10 at State Farm Center.
- Leading the Illini is first-team All-America candidate Ayo Dosunmu. Owning numbers of 22.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game, Dosunmu is one of only two players in the nation averaging at least 20 points, five rebounds and four assists this season.
- Kofi Cockburn leads the NCAA with nine double-doubles on the year. He has registered double-doubles in six of seven Big Ten contests and is averaging 20.1 points and 11.1 boards during league play on 72% shooting.
- Da’Monte Williams leads the nation in 3-point shooting (min. 20 attempts), connecting on 21-of-33 for 63.6%.
- Over the last three games, freshman Adam Miller is averaging 11.0 points (33) and making an average of 3.0 treys (9) while shooting 40.9% from behind the arc (9-22).
- Freshman Andre Curbelo leads the Big Ten in assists during league play at 6.1 apg.
- Ohio State's C.J. Walker (42 of 43; 97.7 pct.) and Duane Washington Jr. (39 of 44; 88.6 pct.) are combining to make 93.1% of their free throw attempts this season (81 of 87). E.J. Liddell is right at 75 pct. (41 of 55).
- In 10 seasons as a head coach, three at Gardner Webb (2011-13), three at Butler (2015-17) and now in Year Four at Ohio State, Chris Holtmann is 25-32 overall against opponents ranked among the Associated Press Top 25. He was 0-2 at Gardner-Webb and 13-13 at Butler. His teams were 6-9 vs. Top 10 foes at Butler and 3-4 vs. Top 5 opponents. He is 12-18 at Ohio State.
Illinois is going with the white uniforms with the script 'Illinois' on the front and Ohio State is going with the red uniforms.
LIVE: Media Timeout (15:08 left): No. 24 Ohio State 10, No. 14 Illinois 8 - After a slow start by the Illini, Underwood's crew has gotten defensive stops leading to a 6-0 run over the last two minutes. Everything Illinois is trying to get offensively in this game so far has been in the paint.
LIVE: Media Timeout (11:30 left): No. 24 Ohio State 19, No. 14 Illinois 15 - Ohio State making a lot of contested shots early in this game especially from beyond the 3-point line. Illinois is unable to get on the break today but have 10 points in the paint. Underwood going to the bench (especially at the 3 and 4 spots) early and often today.
LIVE: Media Timeout (10:11 left in 1st): No. 24 Ohio State 27, No. 14 Illinois 15 - A really bad segment for Andre Curbelo there. A miss on jumping the passing lane results in an Ohio State 3pt and then a turnover. Ohio State then hits a three and Underwood can't take it anymore.
LIVE: Media Timeout (6:41 left in 1st): No. 24 Ohio State 34, No. 14 Illinois 19 - Ohio State is 6 of 8 from beyond the 3-point arc and Illinois simply can't get back in this game without defensive stops. Two-time Mr. Basketball in Illinois EJ Liddell has 13 points for Ohio State.
LIVE: Media Timeout (3:31 left in 1st): No. 24 Ohio State 37, No. 14 Illinois 22 - A really subpar defensive effort through 16 minutes by the Illini but with 3:31 left in this first half, can they get it under 10 with a late run before the halftime break?
LIVE: HALFTIME: No. 24 Ohio State 43, No. 14 Illinois 28 - Ayo Dosunmu struggling to find a spark (4 pts, 2 of 7 FGs) while EJ Liddell is having another impressive game in his home state.
LIVE: Media Timeout (15:23 left): No. 24 Ohio State 50, No. 14 Illinois 41 - Illini have made last five shots and (before that last foul) Jacob Grandison has given Illinois a defensive presence at the four spot. In four minutes, Ohio State has four turnovers.
LIVE: Media Timeout (11:58 left): No. 24 Ohio State 56, No. 14 Illinois 48 - Kofi Cockburn gets popped in the mouth right before the stoppage and a lot of players jaw at each other. Meanwhile, Illinois' perimeter defense has been much improved in this half.
LIVE: Media Timeout (9:11 left): No. 24 Ohio State 64, No. 14 Illinois 50 - Very rough outing tonight for Kofi Cockburn (6 pts, 0 for 3 FTs and having no luck with EJ Liddell.
LIVE: Media Timeout (6:37 left): No. 24 Ohio State 67, No. 14 Illinois 57 - Illinois trying a full-court trap but have backed off that after Ohio State hit a wide-open 3pt. Buckeyes 10 of 19 from beyond 3-point range.
LIVE: Media Timeout (3:39 left): No. 24 Ohio State 74, No. 14 Illinois 65 - Dosunmu going to the foul line for a chance to make it a 7-point game but Buckeyes have lived at the 3-point line today (11 of 20).