Part of Wednesday’s practice was open to the media, and one observation of note was the absence of tight ends Travis Vokolek and Austin Allen.
Afterward, much of the talk revolved around the running backs as coaches and players from the offense fielded reporters' questions. Running backs coach Ryan Held said a depth chart was "starting to work itself through."
Alluding to the "unproven" label that's been attached to his group, Held said: "Our guys want to go out there and prove that we have talent in the room and be able to be a position that helps our football team. We need to be."
Running backs Gabe Ervin, Markese Stepp and Sevion Morrison also spoke about the competition for the top spot.
Refresh this page for all the video and coverage, and go here for the HuskerMax discussion.
- Omaha World-Herald | Husker quarterbacks weigh in on competition to back up Adrian Martinez
- Lincoln Journal Star | Red Report: Backup QB race continues; Smothers gaining comfort; Haarberg's early start beneficial
- Husker247 | Quick Hits: Picture starting to become clear at running back
- Hail Varsity | Competition at Quarterback as Huskers Sort Out Spot Behind Adrian Martinez
- Husker247 | Morrison making the most of opportunities after weird first year
- Omaha World-Herald | From Kearney Catholic to Nebraska, Matt Masker has been there for Heinrich Haarberg
- Lincoln Journal Star | Steven M. Sipple: Held's 'we have a lot to prove' mentality makes sense for more than just RBs
- Nebraska Athletics | Held Assesses Running Back Position
- Omaha World-Herald | Nebraska hasn't named a No. 1 RB yet — but that's a 'good problem to have'
- The Spun | Nebraska Transfer Running Back Has Brutally Honest Admission
- Lincoln Journal Star | Now an early bird, Husker RB Sevion Morrison appears to be rising up the depth chart
- Husker247 | Husker freshman Ervin bringing 'dog mentality' to competition
- Lincoln Journal Star | RB Markese Stepp's had bumps in the road since arriving at NU, but seems to be running to daylight
- Husker247 | Smothers discusses QB competition and trust from coaches
- Husker247 | Heinrich Haarberg happy with early progression
- Hail Varsity | Smith/Sorensen
- Omaha World-Herald | Bland/Watkins
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Two-Minute Drill
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Four Downs
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan
Views from practice
- Lincoln Journal Star | Practice observations: Injury watch picks up on Huskers' first-team offense midway through camp
- Omaha World-Herald | Sights and sounds from Nebraska football practice
- Photos | HOL (1, 2), OWH, H247, LJS
Ryan Held & Gabe Ervin