WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Days after Randy Edsall mutually agreed with UConn to step aside as the football team's head coach, the Huskies are going through more change.
Defensive coordinator and interim head coach Lou Spanos announced that UConn redshirt sophomore quarterback Steven Krajewski will replace sophomore Jack Zergiotis as the starter against Purdue on Saturday, according to Hartford Courant reporter Shawn McFarland.
“Steven has grown tremendously in terms of mental,” UConn quarterback coach Mike Moyseenko told the Hartford Courant in July. “There’s not an aspect of this offense that Steven doesn’t understand. Through this time, I think Steven has started to gain a lot of confidence in his arm and his ability to make throws, throw the ball on time and all that good stuff. Steven is a really, really competitive kid. This past spring, we were going live with the quarterbacks, and Steven absolutely loved running over everybody and all those kind of things.”
Krajewski played in four games for the Huskies in 2019, completing 24 of his 38 attempts for 292 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. Zergiotis, who started the first two games of the season for UConn, completed just 29 of his 65 passes for 235 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions.
The decision came after Edsall announced Sunday he was retiring at the end of the 2021 football season. However, Edsall and athletic director David Benedict mutually agreed Monday it was best for the program that he step down immediately.
Stories Related to Purdue Football
- JEFF BROHM REACTS TO RANDY EDSALL'S RETIREMENT: UConn and coach Randy Edsall mutually agreed to for Edsall to step down immediately, instead of at the end of the 2021 season. Purdue coach Jeff Brohm reacted to the decision ahead of the Boilermakers' matchup with the Huskies. CLICK HERE
- JEFF BROHM PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO: Purdue football coach Jeff Brohm met with the local media Monday to discuss the team's upcoming matchup with UConn on Saturday. Here are the highlights from what he had to say, and what we should expect from the Huskies in Hartford, Connecticut. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE REPORT CARD AFTER OREGON STATE WIN: Purdue football started its 2021 season as a favorite against Oregon State on Saturday. Despite a close contest, the team executed in key moments, especially on the defensive side of the ball. A look at the Boilermakers' first report card of the year. CLICK HERE
- OREGON STATE GAME STORY: Junior tight end Payne Durham caught two touchdown passes in the fourth quarter to help lift Purdue over Oregon State. Junior quarterback Jack Plummer threw for 313 yards in his first season-opening start. CLICK HERE
- OREGON STATE GAME STORY: The Purdue defense wreaked havoc on Oregon State in the first half of Saturday's game at Ross-Ade Stadium. Time and time again, it put the offense in a position to take control of a game that ended in a 30-21 victory. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE 2021 SCHEDULE: Purdue's 2021 college football schedule includes nine Big Ten games and three nonconference matchups. The team will travel to Hartford, Connecticut to take on UConn next week. CLICK HERE