Skip to main content

Aggies Beat Rebels With Defense: Live Game Log

A&M tries to remain perfect inside Reed Arena and against SEC competition

Texas A&M men's basketball hosts the Rebels of Ole Miss on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. CT as the Aggies continue their SEC schedule.

The Aggies (13-2, 2-0 SEC) are winners of six in a row and have won their last nine home games to stay undefeated in College Station this season.

Quenton Jackson led the way against Arkansas in Saturday's 86-81 win over the Razorbacks with 16 points while Marcus Williams hit two game-clinching free throws with 4.4 seconds left.

The Rebels (9-5, 1-1 SEC) are coming off an 82-72 win over Mississippi State on Saturday and were led by Matthew Murrell who dropped in a career-high 31 points. Nysier Brooks scored his third double-double of the season with 15 points and 16 rebounds.

A&M has cracked down on defense lately and is forcing turnovers on 27.2 percent of all possessions, fourth-best among Division I teams. During the team's six-game winning streak, that number has climbed to 29.4 percent.

The Aggies are also undefeated this season (11-0) when they turn the ball over 14 times or fewer but are just 2-2 when the turnovers eclipse that number.

Make sure to stay tuned to AllAggies.com for live updates throughout the game as A&M takes on Ole Miss.

PREGAME

The Aggies and Rebels are warming up and the Reed Arena seats are filling up. According to ESPN's BPI the Aggies have a 75.3 percent chance at the win before the start of the game to Ole Miss' 24.7 percent.

A&M wins the tip.

15:19 First Half: Rebels 6, Aggies 10

 The Aggies started fast with a Henry Coleman III dunk followed by a Coleman III layup to begin the game with a 4-0 lead over Ole Miss. Nysier Brooks got the Rebels on the board with a layup of his own before Coleman threw down another dunk and Andre Gordon made a layup off a nice pass by Marcus Williams.

Daeshun Ruffin made a layup for Ole Miss making the score 8-4 Aggies before Brooks threw home a dunk after receiving a pass from Luis Rodriguez. 

Ethan Henderson followed up a pass from Williams with a layup before the television timeout for a score of 10-6 A&M.

11:00 First Half: Rebels 14, Aggies 14

Luis Rodriguez hit from behind the line for a 3-pointer getting Ole Miss to within 10-9.

Ruffin hit both free throws after a foul on Marcus Williams and Jaemyn Brakefield hit a 3-pointer giving Ole Miss a 14-10 lead as the Rebels rattled off eight straight points.

Henry Coleman III answered with a jumper and a layup to tie the game at 14.

7:48 First Half: Rebels 16, Aggies 18

Manny Obaseki made a layup off a nice pass from Hassan Diarra but Luis Rodriguez answered on the other end with a dunk for a 16-16 score.

Henry Coleman has 12 points on the night after a jumper off an assist by Quenton Jackson for an 18-16 Aggies lead. 

Recommended Articles

Lebbeus Overton
Play

Nation's Top 2023 Recruit Is Heading To College Station

The Aggies will be getting a visit from one of the 2023 class' top recruit

harold-perkins-tamu-visit(RRZF8IBYCY5)
Play

Elite LB Harold Perkins De-Commits from Aggies

The Aggies just lost a key piece to their to their elite defensive class

USATSI_16885527_168388359_lowres
Play

An Aggie To The Dallas Cowboys? NFL Mock Draft

With the 24th pick, Sports Illustrated predicts that the Cowboys will draft Texas A&M defensive tackle DeMarvin Leal.

2:48 First Half: Rebels 24, Aggies 29

Marcus Williams and Daeshun Ruffin exchanged layups out of the television timeout. Ruffin was fouled by Aaron Cash on the shot and made the free throw for a 20-19 Aggies lead.

Andre Gordon made a jumper off an assist from Williams and Tyrece Radford hit a 3-pointer, assisted by Hayden Hefner pushing the A&M lead to 25-19.

Jaemyn Brakfield and Henry Coleman III traded layups for a 27-21 score. But Ruffin his a 3-pointer to put the Rebels within three at 27-24 before the television timeout, Javonte Brown made a layup giving the Aggies a 29-24 lead.

HALFTIME: Rebels 29, Aggies 33

The teams exchanged missed 3-pointers and foul shots before Quenton Jackson made a pair of layups giving the Aggies a seven point lead at 31-24. But Ole Miss' Matthew Murrell nailed a 3-pointer off an assist from Luis Rodriguez before hitting a jumper with 40 seconds remaining in the half pushing the score to 31-29 A&M.

Jackson was fouled by Rodriguez and hit both foul shots just before the end of the half for a 33-29 lead.

Henry Coleman III leads the Aggies with 14 points and five rebounds, while Daeshun Ruffin has scored 10 for the Rebels and Rodriguez has pulled down six rebounds.

15:14 Second Half: Rebels 37, Aggies 42

A&M's Ethan Henderson started the scoring out of the break with a dunk off an assist by Marcus Williams. Williams also assisted on jumpers by Tyrece Radford and Henry Coleman. Luis Rodriguez and Nysier Brooks also made jumpers for Ole Miss pushing the score to 37-34 A&M.

Matthew Murrell and Radford traded 3-pointers for a 40-37 score. Radford added a layup before the television timeout.

11:15 Second Half: Rebels 38, Aggies 51

Andre Gordon hit a pair of foul shots and Wade Taylor IV hit a jumper just out of the timeout making the score 46-37.

Ole Miss' Matthew Murrell hit one of two free throws off a Quenton Jackson foul and Taylor IV made another layup to push the Aggies lead to 51-38.

7:29 Second Half: Rebels 40, Aggies 56

Matthew Murrell made a layup followed by a Wade Taylor IV 3-pointer making the score 56-40. The teams traded fouls and missed shots until the television timeout.

5:33 Second Half: Rebels 43, Aggies 58

Wade Taylor IV made a layup before fouling Tye Fagan who made one of two foul shots. The Rebels' Austin Crowley made a layup and A&M called a timeout on the floor.

3:53 Second Half: Rebels 45, Aggies 63

Tye Fagen and Tyrece Radford exchanged jumpers before Marcus Williams got back in the score column with a 3-pointer making the score 63-45.

FINAL: Rebels 45, Aggies 63

Ole Miss' Jaemyn Brakefield made two free throws after a Marcus Williams foul and Henry Coleman III and Nysier Brooks exchanged jump shots for a 65-49 score with 3:00 remaining in the game.

The Rebels missed a couple of jumpers and 3-point attempts before Tyrece Radford pulled down another defensive rebound. He gave the ball to Quenton Jackson who hit from the left elbow for a 67-49 Aggies lead.

Williams fouled Brakefield who hit both foul shots for a 67-51 lead and A&M ran out the clock to end the game.

TOTALS:

Texas A&M shot 55.8 percent from the field on 29-of-52 shooting while the Rebels hit just 34.6 percent of their shots on 18-of-52 shooting. The Aggies outrebounded Ole Miss 31-28 and the teams were even with 13 turnovers each.

The Aggies continue to struggle from the charity stripe as they shot just 57.1 percent against Ole Miss making just four of seven shots.