Aljamain Sterling Reveals Next Bout

The former UFC bantamweight champion also discusses whether he will make the move to featherweight
Aljamain Sterling Reveals Next Bout
Aljamain Sterling Reveals Next Bout

Aljamain Sterling is staring at a future with plenty of possibilities.

Sterling could remain in the division for a rematch against Sean O’Malley, who beat him for the belt last month at UFC 292. Or the former bantamweight champion could make a highly anticipated move to featherweight.

“Right now, I’m taking it day-by-day,” said Sterling, speaking from his hotel in Sydney, Australia, where he will attend UFC 293. “I haven’t decided the next step.”

While his next fight in the UFC is still being determined, Sterling will remain active. He makes his Brazilian jiu-jitsu return on September 30 in a bout against Nathaniel Wood.

“It’s a chance to compete against a tough dude,” said Sterling. “I’ve trained with him in the past, around 2018, and he’s up at featherweight from bantamweight–and I’m potentially doing the same thing.”

Sponsored by Warrior as part of their newly-signed multi event deal with Polaris, the bout will take place in Ebbw Vale in Wales and air on the UFC Fight Pass. It will be one 10-minute round, with all submissions legal at 160 pounds.

“It’s an interesting matchup in terms of skill,” said Sterling. “It will be a good measuring stick, and the fans are going to be in for a treat with this one. I’m looking forward to the match, then I’ll smash a couple brews with Nathaniel in Wales.”

Now three weeks removed from his loss to O’Malley, which ended a title reign that saw him successfully defend the bantamweight title on three occasions, Sterling has had time to reflect on the TKO defeat.

“It was way too early a stoppage,” said Sterling. “That’s clear.”

All signs point toward O’Malley making his first defense of the title this December against Chito Vera. Cory Sandhagen is injured, otherwise he would be at the front of the line. Merab Dvalishvili is also deserving of a title shot, but he may be hurt by opting not to fight Sterling, who is a teammate and close friend.

“Right now, the division is in a weird spot,” said Sterling. “Sean’s talking about fighting Chito, but Chito lost to Sandhagen, and he doesn’t want to fight Merab, who is the number-one contender. Dana [White] is saying best friends should fight each other. There is a lot of chaos going on. But if I’m not getting a rematch, Merab should be next.

“Maybe this is the catalyst to a new chapter for me. There are so many matchups for me at 145, like Brian Ortega, Max Holloway, Yair Rodriguez, Ilia Topuria, and Giga Chikadze.

“If I could defeat Max, I would really solidify myself in the division and that would put me in a title fight. I’ve got some things I need to figure out, but the one thing I know is that I won’t fight again until 2024.”

Sterling’s immediate focus is on the September 30 BJJ bout against Wood, as well as promoting his Funk Harbor Rum, which is available for sale in October. After already fighting twice this year, he does not plan to step into the Octagon again until, at the earliest, February or March. Yet that could change, particularly if he is offered a rematch against O’Malley in December.

“That would be an emotional rollercoaster,” said Sterling. “If my fiancée is up for it, I would saddle up. But it would have to make sense. It would have to be a very enticing offer.”

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations


Published
Justin Barrasso
JUSTIN BARRASSO

Justin Barrasso has been writing for Sports Illustrated since 2014. While his primary focus is pro wrestling and MMA, he has also covered MLB, NBA, and the NFL. He can be reached at JBarrasso@gmail.com and followed on Twitter @JustinBarrasso.