Texas Rangers (35-63) at Houston Astros (59-39)
Saturday, July 24, 2021
6:10 PM CT
Minute Maide Park | Houston, TX
The Texas Rangers are winless in the second half of the 2021 MLB season, and the losing streak reached 10 games with last night's 7-3 loss to the Houston Astros.
It's the longest losing streak of the season for the Rangers, who dropped nine in a row from May 25 to June 3, getting swept in all three series of a road trip. They have scored just 13 runs in eight games since the All-Star Break, and have scored just 57 runs total in 18 games in the month of July.
Things won't seem to get any easier for the Rangers today as they face the Astros once again in game two of a three-game weekend series at Minute Maid Park and will do so without outfielder Joey Gallo.
Rangers manager Chris Woodward said, "It's nothing more than a well-deserved day of rest for Gallo," and "don't read anything into it."
TEX: RHP Kyle Gibson (6-2, 2.86)
HOU: LHP Framber Valdez (5-2, 3.26)
TV: Bally Sports Southwest
Radio: 105.3 The Fan, KFLC 1270
Rangers Struggles Continue As They Drop Finale vs White Sox
The Texas Rangers struggled on both sides of the ball during this seven-game homestand, as they were outscored 51-16.
Rangers History Today: Two Home Run Milestones In One Game
On this day, the Texas Rangers reached a pair of home run milestones put up by players well-known and not well-known in franchise lore.
Rangers vs White Sox: Arihara DFA'd, Starting Lineups, Injury Report
The Texas Rangers made the surprising move to designate Kohei Arihara for assignment ahead of their season series finale with the Chicago White Sox.
TV: ATT SportsNet-SW
Radio: KBME 790 AM/94.5 FM HD-2, KLAT 1010, KTRH 740 AM/99.1 FM HD-2
Texas Rangers Starting Lineup
- SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa
- RF Eli White
- CF Adolis Garcia
- 1B Nathaniel Lowe
- DH Curtis Terry
- 2B Andy Ibanez
- LF David Dahl
- 3B Charlie Culberson
- C Jose Trevino
Houston Astros Starting Lineup
- 2B Jose Altuve
- DH Michael Brantley
- 1B Yuli Gurriel
- LF Yordan Alvarez
- SS Carlos Correa
- RF Kyle Tucker
- 3B Abraham Toro
- CF Myles Straw
- C Martin Maldonado
Rangers Roster Moves
- RHP Tyler Phillips had been claimed on waivers by Philadelphia. Phillips was designated for assignment on July 17.
Rangers Injury Report
10-Day Injured List
- Willie Calhoun (left forearm fracture): Calhoun is recovering well, maybe even ahead of schedule. Optimistically, he could start swinging a bat next week. Jon Daniels said the Rangers haven't put Calhoun on the 60-day IL because they believe he has a real chance to come back in a lesser amount of time.
60-Day Injured List
- Kohei Arihara (right shoulder surgery): Arihara had a procedure to repair of posterior circumflex humeral artery aneurysm in his right arm. The procedure was performed by vascular surgeon Dr. Gregory Pearl in Dallas and went as expected. Arihara started playing catch on July 1 at Globe Life Field and is considered ahead of schedule. He could begin a rehab assignment in late August or early September.
- Matt Bush (right flexor strain): Bush was shut down for six weeks after suffering the injury. He was thought to maybe be ready around the All-Star break, but Bush's timetable is still undetermined.
- Kyle Cody (right shoulder impingement): Cody had a setback in early July. From the looks of it, Cody will be a candidate to pitch at instructs in the fall.
- Ronald Guzmán (torn meniscus in right knee): Guzmán underwent successful season-ending knee surgery on April 28.
- Jonathan Hernández (Tommy John surgery): Hernández underwent Tommy John surgery on April 12, which was performed by team physician Dr. Keith Meister. He will be sidelined for approximately 12-14 months.
- José Leclerc (Tommy John surgery): Leclerc underwent successful Tommy John surgery on March 31, which was performed by team physician Dr. Keith Meister. He will be sidelined for approximately 12-14 months.
- Hunter Wood (right UCL sprain): Wood underwent surgery on June 28 on his right elbow in Arlington. Dr. Keith Meister inserted an internal brace in the elbow. Wood is expected to be sidelined for a minimum of eight months.
More From SI's Inside The Rangers:
- Rangers Farm Notes: Jung Hitting, Huff Mashing, Frisco Dealing
- Rangers All-Star Break: An Escape As Trade Deadline Looms
- Trade Rumors: Yankees & Padres 'Have Eyes' On Texas Rangers' Joey Gallo
Like 'Inside The Rangers' on Facebook