The New York Giants, who lost offensive linemen Shane Lemieux and Nick Gates to injuries the last two weeks, replenished some of that depth by signing guard Was Martin off the Washington Football Team's practice squad.
Martin, 6'3" and 315 pounds, was a 2019 fourth-round pick by Washington out of Indiana. He redshirted his first year with the Hoosiers to complete his recovery from an MCL sprain.
By 2015, he was healthy enough to play in all 13 games with six starts at left guard. He became the full-time starter at left guard for the Hoosiers in 2016, starting all 13 games, and would earn honorable mention All-Big Ten notice from league coaches in both his junior and senior seasons. Martin was also a two-time team captain.
With Washington, he played in 25 regular-season games and one playoff game. He started ten regular-season games, five at left guard and five at right guard.
New York Giants Competitive Edge Week 6: Defense/Special Teams vs. Rams Offense/Special Teams
How well does the New York Giants defense and special teams units stack up against the Los Angeles Rams? Olivier Dumont breaks it all down.
New York Giants Not Planning to Cut Back on Daniel Jones's Running
The Giants love Daniel Jones's athleticism and the dimension it brings to the offense. But would they cut back on the number of designed runs called to protect their quarterback?
Breaking Down the New York Giants Run Defense Struggles
Coach Gene Clemons tries to pinpoint what's happened to the Giants run defense and what they can do to stop the bleeding.
The Giants' offensive line has been hit hard so far this year by a combination of injuries and retirements. In addition to the injuries to Lemieux and Gates, the team lost veterans Joe Looney and Zach Fulton to retirement, and they had offensive tackle Jackson Barton poached off their practice squad by the Raiders.
After placing inside linebacker Blake Martinez (ACL) on injured reserve, the Giants still have one more open roster spot.
More from Giants Country
- Giants Week 3 Report Card: Detention Time
- Giants Week 3: By the Numbers
- Five Plays that Doomed the New York Giants in Week 3
- Stats, Snaps, and Other Numbers from New York Giants’ Week 3 Loss
- New York Giants Head Coach Joe Judge Reveals Plan for Offensive Play Calling
- New York Giants Lose LB Blake Martinez to Torn ACL
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel