The New York Giants injury situation continues to get worse and worse each week.
Safety and special teams captain Jabrill Peppers, injured in the third quarter of last week's game over the Carolina Panthers, suffered a ruptured ACL and a high ankle sprain and has been placed on injured reserve.
Peppers is a five-year veteran who is in his third season with the Giants. In 2017, Peppers was originally acquired from Cleveland as part of the Odell Beckham Jr trade in March 2019. He has started 30 of the 32 games for the Giants and is a two-time team captain.
Peppers, an unrestricted free agent, joins fellow captains Blake Martinez (ACL) and Nick Gates (broken leg) on the injured reserve list.
The Giants also announced that they waived cornerback Josh Jackson and wide receiver David Sills V from the 53-man roster and signed defensive back J.R. Reed off the Los Angeles Rams' practice squad.
Reed, 6'1" and 194 pounds, appeared in one game for the Rams this year and seven plus two postseason games last year. After starting his college career at Tulsa, he transferred to Georgia. He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2020 but did not make the 53-man roster.
Giants CB James Bradberry Quietly Improving His Play
After a rocky start to the 2021 season, Giants cornerback James Bradberry has been playing much better of late.
Giants Daniel Jones Week-to-Week with Neck Injury | Report
The Giants have signed quarterback Jake Fromm off the Buffalo Bills practice squad for reinforcement as starter Daniel Jones is expected to miss Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins.
Reed’s father, Jake, played in the NFL for 12 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints.
Jackson was acquired in a trade with the Green Bay Packers for cornerback Isaac Yiadom. Jackson, a former second-round draft pick, suffered a calf injury after joining the Giants and never got on the field with them.
Sills made his NFL debut on Sunday, one day after he was signed off the Giants’ practice squad.
Sills spent the entire 2020 season on injured reserve after fracturing his foot in training camp. In the 2021 preseason, he had a team-high seven receptions for 94 yards, including an eight-yard touchdown in Cleveland.
The Giants also terminated the practice squad contract of defensive tackle Woodrow Hamilton, who was signed to the unit last week.
More from Giants Country
- How the Giants Came Up with Their Trick Play in Win vs. Carolina Panthers
- Five Plays That Mattered Most in New York Giants Win Over Carolina
- Joe Judge Thinking Long-term Regarding Looming NFL Trade Deadline
- New York Giants Injury Update: When Will Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay Be Back?
- Daniel Jones Proving He Has the Heart of a (New York) Giant
- New York Giants Edge Azeez Ojulari Blossoming into Legitimate Pass Rusher
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel