IOC: Newspaper refuses to provide emails in 'parcels' report
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) The IOC asked a British newspaper for copies of the emails quoted in a report linking the son of former IAAF president Lamine Diack to alleged ''parcels'' to be delivered to six IOC members.
The Guardian refused to turn over the material, the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday.
The newspaper reported Tuesday that it had seen leaked emails from Papa Masata Diack to a Qatari business executive in May 2008. The Qatari capital, Doha, was bidding for the 2016 Olympics at the time.
The Guardian said the email suggests that six people, referred to by their initials which correspond with six IOC members at the time, requested ''to have their parcels delivered through Special Adviser in Monaco.'' The paper said the ''special adviser'' was believed to be Lamine Diack, who was an IOC member at the time.
The Guardian said it wasn't known whether any ''parcels'' were sent. In any case, a month after the email was sent, Doha failed to make the list of finalists in the 2016 bidding.
''We have asked for any information that the Guardian may have so that we can send it to our independent ethics commission,'' the IOC said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press. ''This has been refused. Without any access to this material it is hard to make any further comment.''
Last week, Papa Masata Diack was banned for life by the IAAF ethics commission for corruption and cover-up allegations linked to Russian doping. Lamine Diack is under criminal investigation in France on corruption and money-laundering charges involving doping cover-ups.
Diack resigned as an honorary IOC member in November, a day after he was provisionally suspended by the IOC executive board.
Diack served as a full IOC member for 15 years until 2014. The Senegalese official stepped down in August as president of the IAAF after 16 years in charge.