Warrant: Aaron Hernandez may have been gunman in 2012 double murder
A search warrant request released Thursday says that authorities in Boston are investigating former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for his possible involvement in a 2012 double murder, reports Pat Eaton-Robb of the Associated Press.
No one has been charged in the deaths of Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, who were killed on July 16, 2012.
According to the report, Hernandez is seen on surveillance footage in the same nightclub as the victims on the night of the murders. Documents in Connecticut confirm that police suspect Hernandez could have done the killing.
Hernandez is currently in jail awaiting trial for the murder of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd. He pleaded not guilty to those and several weapons charges connected to the case.
More from the AP:
A June 28 police affidavit and search warrant application released by Superior Court in Bristol, Conn., says there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving the vehicle used in the shooting and "may have been the shooter."
The affidavit was filed as police sought to search an SUV they say was involved in the shooting and was found at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, where Hernandez was raised. The SUV had been given to Hernandez by a Rhode Island company in exchange for participating in promotional activities, according to court filings.